prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm consolodating my hardware from the various little baggies that Vans sends with the kits.
In two different bags I have AN365-1032 locking nuts. In one bag these nuts have a red nylon insert, while in the other bag the nylon insert is white in these nuts. Is there any significance to the colour of the nylon inserts?

Red, white, yellow, and green inserts indicate reduced-strength nuts. Only nuts with purple or fuschia inserts are approved for use on aircraft. I hope you haven't been using the other ones, or else you'll probably fall out of the sky!!!

Seriously, as long as they are real AN (MS) nuts, the color doesn't mean anything. Different manufacturers just use different colors of plastic, that's all. I do always use the same color of nut for a particular assembly, but that's just me being anal. Go ahead and mix and match if you like.

mcb

Hahaha, Good answer Matt!

You made me laugh!

I was going to do a serious reply, but now I see it isn't needed!

Good one!

:D CJ

Phil:
The different colors were used to identify the origin of manufacturer. For example, I believe the red color used to be used exclusively by ESNA, the Elastic Stopnut Company North America. Don't know if this is the case today.
Build on.
Terry

thanks for the replies guys. Matt, you almost had me there, for a second (I atually thought "what?? Vans sent me non-aircraft hardware??")
I was voted "most gullible" by my classmates at my highshool grad.

Insert Color

Phil,
With my wing kit, I rec'd many that were sort of clear colored and two that were red in color. I had a hard time trying to identify the difference until looking at the hardware call out for the aileron. I beileve that there are that these two are for that. They are slightly thinner and attach the control rod to the aileron. At least that's what I believe.

The color of Nylocks

prkaye said:
I'm consolidating my hardware from the various little baggies that Vans sends with the kits.
In two different bags I have AN365-1032 locking nuts. In one bag these nuts have a red nylon insert, while in the other bag the nylon insert is white in these nuts. Is there any significance to the colour of the nylon inserts?

Aircraft.... Red=ESNA, Green=Greer, Yellow = Abott

Commercial.... Purple = Continental locknut (non a/c as far as I know)

White or other colors = Unknown Origin to me, any help?

Tom:
Not completely sure, but I think the white/clear come from San Shing Hardware in Taiwan. They are a reputable manufacturer, produce to ASTM and SAE standards, and maintain lot tracability.

Thanks

terrykohler said:
Tom:
Not completely sure, but I think the white/clear come from San Shing Hardware in Taiwan. They are a reputable manufacturer, produce to ASTM and SAE standards, and maintain lot tracability.

Sounds like good info, I have not seen them certified to AN/AS/MS/NAS

This does not mean that they are not good or safe, or that they are, it just means they have not gone through the process's of certification.

Some companies make things that exceed aircraft specs and just elect not to expose themselves to the potential liability of that market.

Like Van's, its all experimental, built with the fastener guys its not experimental just commercial.

Still thanks for the added info, anymore from anybody else?
Enquiring minds want to know! (not in the tabloid sense)