AntiGravity said:
Quick question. The destructions don't explicitly mention these two nutplates, but logic suggests they get drilled and dimpled with everything else.................
Hey Jeff,

I do not have the "destructions" in front of me, but I would not have countersunk the noted locations if not called out somewhere. Since I routinely use NAS1097AD3 rivets on all nutplates, I elect to machine countersink rather than dimple nutplate attach holes.

errata13510hg0.jpg

UPDATE: Check the upper right hand corner of DWG 61. It depicts the boundary (including the subject holes) in which all nutplate rivets holes are to be countersunk.

Last edited:
Yep - that's why I was wondering...

Rick6a said:
UPDATE: Check the upper right hand corner of DWG 61. It depicts the boundary (including the subject holes) in which all nutplate rivets holes are to be countersunk.
Cheers Rick, that was my thinking too. I machine countersunk the other nutplates (as per the dwg), so I'll go ahead and match drill these and csk as well before I prime. Always good to confirm these things when not sure. Might even get done today: not sure whether I'm skydiving or not yet..

Thanks,

I'm assuming your both building slow build kits because these are already installed on the QB.

On the slow build, you complete the canoe and then turn it upright. After drilling the floors, forward baggage compartment, and rudder pedals, you re-invert the canoe to install these nutplates, install the landing gear and the forward belly skins.

Remember to put these nutplates in before the belly skins or you can't get to them.

Karl

briand said:
They are for "in-flight" adjustable rudder pedals only.

Jeff,
Why not install those two nutplates anyway? If you (or a future owner) decides to switch to "in flight" adjustable pedals, the switch will be greatly eased.
Charlie Kuss

RV-8A only

Are they not maybe for RV-8A only those two? I checked last night and they are clearly specified on the RV-8A dwg but not the RV-8 dwg. The rivet attach holes have been countersunk anyway so if I need to install nutplates later there's no problem.

Those nutplates are for the aft attachment point for the in-flight adjustable rudders pedals. You need to put them in before you rivet the forward sub-floor as they are not accessable afterwards. I actually riveted them to the cross member only and not through the floor itself. As Charlie suggested, I would put them in as well as the ones on the firewall even if you are going to use the ground adjustable pedals initially, just in case, as you cannot go back and install them later. They are needed on the RV-8 as well as the 8A.

This all leaves the question; what do you do with the two 3/16" holes in the floor if you are not going to install the in-flight adj. pedals right now? Fill with a nasty heel grabbing protruding bolt? Leave empty? I would opt for leaving empty. Then you would want to rivet the nut plates through both the 822 (RV-8) AND 802K.