Phil

Well Known Member
I'm working on some inspection plates and the door is going to be held on with nutplates.

Is there a max and min distance between nutplates?

Thanks,
Phil

I dont know the answer, but I am pretty sure you need to provide more info so someone who knows these things can give you an answer.

First off, is the panel going to be structural???

What thickness material??

What size nut plates??

Good luck.

Thanks Mike. Here's some additional detail.

Door is .016.
Door Doubler is .032.

It's an exterior door that is exposed to airflow, but not structural.

Nutplates are K1100-06. (#6 - Accepting of dimples)

The actual door is approximately a 4 1/8" square.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. Here's some additional detail.

Door is .016.
Door Doubler is .032.

It's an exterior door that is exposed to airflow, but not structural.

Nutplates are K1100-06. (#6 - Accepting of dimples)

The actual door is approximately a 4 1/8" square.

Then it is not in any main airframe skin (wing, fuselage, etc.)?

Any opening not made by Van's may have been installed in a location that would be considered structural which means the design of the cover and the fastener pattern would have to be designed to restore the skin to its orig. strength.

Check out the book "AIRCRAFT SHEET METAL". There are several pages devoted to fabricating, and installing inspection plate with nutplates.

I do not recall all the call outs, but believe that the dimensions scale very well. I think the placement of the nutplates is based on degrees (15, 30, 45,...??) around the cutout, doubler ring, and cover plate.

Then it is not in any main airframe skin (wing, fuselage, etc.)?

Any opening not made by Van's may have been installed in a location that would be considered structural which means the design of the cover and the fastener pattern would have to be designed to restore the skin to its orig. strength.

Good point, Scott.

It's actually on the underside of the elevator.

That's the reason for .016.

Phil