tdk

I'm working on the fuel tank brackets which use K1000-3 nutplates for the AN3 bolts through the spar. I have a bunch of nutplate jigs (#6,#8,#10, 1/4), but the pilot of the #8 is too small, and the #10 is too big.

I forged ahead and used a cleco through the bolt hole to hold a nutplate as a jig, but that didn't work out so well...the holes are not well aligned. I guess I'll be making the brackets again...:mad:

I know I can bolt up a nutplate to use as a jig, and will probably do that to move forward. But I would really like to contribute to the economic recovery by purchasing another tool.:D

Why doesn't anyone make a jig for AN3?:confused:

-Tom

Keep it simple (and cheap)

I have only used the nutplates as a jig for drilling. Seems to work just fine. I put a slightly oversized nut on the screw or bolt as a spacer then tighten it down so that I'm not going too deep into the nutplate to loosen it up.
Drill one hole, cleco it to keep it from moving around, then drill the other one. Repeat as necessary. Nice thing about using a real screw or bolt in the process is you know at least that the nutplate gets centered correctly. I used this one last night for a couple of nutplates.

1117611256_jRfDN-M.jpg

I only have one nutplate jig that I use and its a #6. I think I read/saw somewhere where the rivet positions are the same for the K1000 nutplates so I initially drill for a #6 screw and then after using the jig for the rivet holes I go up to the proper size on the center hole for whichever screw/bolt I need.

Maybe others will chime in and confirm this.

My nutplate jig is made for #10 hole not #12

so I drill them out to #10 and it fits just fine. Jigs make installing nutplates much faster. I have used all three in my build.