AntiGravity

Well Known Member
I was cleco-ing the ribs to the main spar in the wing stand this evening in preparation for match drilling tomorrow, and I noticed some holes that are quite obviously for nutplates. I don't recall seeing anything in the instructions so far, and a look at the drawings doesn't reveal anything (unless I have missed it).
Looking at DWG 10A, Front Spar Rear View, top right-hand corner. Pre-punched holes for three nutplates in between 1st and 2nd inboard ribs. What are they there for? Did I miss something?
Thanks,

I believe those are for the most inboard fuel tank z-bracket, which is different than the rest; not sure when you attach them as I'm not there yet! Maybe check the fuel tank drawings... (I don't have the stuff in front of me)

Thomas
-8 wings

Hi Jeff! Those nutplates are for the inbd fuel tank bracket. They are installed after you finish drilling the fuel tank brackets. I highly recomend Dan Checkoways' fuel tank installation method. It works like a charm! Here is the link. http://www.rvproject.com/construction_log.html Hope this helps!

Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
Tank bracket attach

Oh right. Thanks. I had my tanks made for me by Evan, so I'll have to work out when and how to do that, since the brackets are already attached to the tank. I might check it out tonight, since there isn't a lot of space around those ribs and it might pay to drill holes and such now before I rivet all the ribs in.
... just checked tank drawing DWG16A and it does show, now that I know what I was looking for, but isn't identified that well.
Thanks.

If your tanks are already built it would pay you to mount the tank temporarily using the Z brackets and bolts and match drill those holes now. Much easier without the ribs in the way. After drilling you can rivet the nutplates if you like or wait till later but those would be easier without the ribs in the way as well.

Like Brad said, take a look at this page on Dan's site . It will explain a lot.

Rat

Tank brackets

Thanks Rat. I think that after I match drill the ribs to the spar, but before I rivet them on, I had better take a close look at the tank stuff and see what I need to do. Wasn't really sure how to get the alignment 'just so' without having the outboard leading edge in place. I'll all the drawings and instructions and see what's what.
Cheers,

So if I understand what you are saying, none of the Z brackets are drilled, correct?

If this is the case then you are correct in your thinking. Get the leading edge built and mounted and the alignment of the tanks will be a piece of cake. Use a drill stop to help protect the tank baffle.

When I built my tanks I wondered about doing it just this way, build the leading edge and mount it. Then build the tanks but not drill the holes in the Z brackets untill mounting the tank to the spar using the screws. That way you could get it aligned perfectly. There is a danger of drilling into the tank baffle but as I said before with a drill stop that's easily handled.

Rat

Sweet

Thanks. I shall continue. I'll probably just work around the ribs. Tricky maybe, but should be ok with a little though and care (not that I'm usually known for it! :D )