John-G

Well Known Member
After looking at builder sites and reading posts here, it is quite apparent there are oodles and oodles of nutplates used on the RV-12 ? especially the fuselage. It appears a lot of the nutplate holes are already pre-drilled. However I?m wondering, is there a significant number of nutplate holes to be made by the builder to warrant the use of nutplate drill jigs?

I?m in the process of procuring tools-O-plenty for my build ? so curious if it would be a worthwhile aid to have a couple of platenut drill jigs? If so, what sizes would you suggest?

John

Drill jigs

I think they are probably a "nice to have" item. I built my RV6 twenty years ago without them and have seen even less of a need on my almost finished RV12.

That's just one data point. I imagine those that have them and use them really like them. Those extra tools really are "nice to have" once you have them and get used to using them.

Keith W.
Milan, IL

The only places I can think of on an RV-12 that the builder has to drill nutplate attach rivet holes is on the cowl ( 6 places), the spinner (~16 places), and the main wheel fairings (~16 places).
There might be a few others scattered around, but not that I can think of right now.

Regardless of whether you use a nutplate, or a drill jig for drilling the holes, when working on thick materials or curved areas (spinner bulkhead, wheel pants, etc.) always drill from the side that the nutplate will be mounted on, to assure that the rivet holes match up to the nutplate.

Skip the Jigs bud!

I would pass on the platenut drill jigs. Save the money for something you may need along the way.:)

Thanks

Great! Thanks for the input guys ... one less tool to worry about. I'm glad to hear there are so few nutplate holes to be drilled from scratch.

John