RV7Factory

Chief Obfuscation Officer
This came up today in a discussion with another builder and I wanted to confirm or deny something...

On the BNC connector for the capacitive sender(s)... are we relying on the barrel (outside) of the BNC connector to make an electrical connection with the tank (rib)?

I called Van's and asked them... while tech support said this made sense, they said they didn't know for sure. :eek:

TIA!

Last edited:
Yup, Brad...

You got it! The barrel is directly connected to the tank rib and you doop it all up with proseal on the inside for a fluid seal.

:) CJ

RV7Factory said:
This came up today in a discussion with another builder and I wanted to confirm or deny something...

On the BNC connector for the capacitive sender(s)... are we relying on the barrel (outside) of the BNC connector to make an electrical connection with the tank (rib)?

I called Van's and asked them... while tech support said this made sense, they said they didn't know for sure. :eek:

TIA!
As Captain John said, that's it.
You might take care to use the internal star lockwasher that comes with some versions of the bulkhead connector to make sure of intimate electrical contact. My kit came with the solder tab washers but the plans distinctly show the lock washer under the nut.

-mike

Guys, I thought so, but thanks for indulging my "silly question of the day". :D

Mike, it is interesting that you mention a star washer... none came with my kit (I double checked) and they are not shown on my plans (RV-8/-7). Oh well, I gooped that thing up with so much sealant that I am not worried about it coming loose. :)

no star washer in my kit either

Brad,
Mine came with the washer that has a little tab and a small hole but no lock washer. I looked at the bill of materials on the drawing and, googling, found that the bnc bulkhead connectors come in a dozen different configurations, one of which has the star washer. A careful examination of the drawing shows the lock washer being used (I didn't know what the heck to do with the washer I had) so I picked up a couple of the lock washers from work. I'm sure that everything would have been fine without them, so no worries.

-mike