8CW

Well Known Member
Thinking ahead, those that installed nutplates to make their baggage floors removable, what size did you use? Thanks.

#6 screws most closely match the diameter of the 1/8" blind rivets called out for by Vans. However, I used #8 screws (and nutplates) on the recommendation of another RV builder who is a professional A&P, IA. He feels that #4 and #6 screws tend to break off to often when you try to remove them from the nutplates. I went with his recommendations. You could save a bit of weight by using the #6 screws and applying NeverSeize to them to ensure that they come out when needed.
Charlie Kuss

NUT plates

I used #8 too, but wouldn't go below #6. If you run a tap thru the nutplate first, you will lose the locking effect, but won't have to worry about breaking screws off.

I have also run a tap through a lot of my #6 and #4 (even some #8) nutplates in areas like the baggage floor that are not as critical to have the tight grip. Particularly the #4 screws are prone to breakage unless the nutplates have been tapped.

greg

I used the AN525-832xx washer head screws with nylon flat washers below the head and the appropriate nutplates. This screw type has a "grip-length" and is considered structural. I chose to implement this solution in all floor / baggage compartment panels just so I could remove the items for any maintenance issues that might come up.

The nylon washers are used to keep from scratching up the primer / paint.
Also, I used 4 of Van's baggage compartment tie-down ring assemblies. These items are ideally used with #10 flat head screws, but I used #8 flat heads instead...just to keep the use of the same nutplate size. If I decide to remove the ring bases, I can install the #8 washer head screws for a consistent look.

I agree with some of the comments on the #6 screws. I have had some of the heads snap off when trying to install them into #6 nutplates.