YME

Well Known Member
For those currently building a newer RV-12 kit, can you tell me if the areas for nut plates are predrilled or do I need a few sizes of nut plate jigs. I know I could use a nut plate and screw to do the same but prefer the tool.

Thanks

-Tom

No need for a nutplate jig on the latest kits. They are all pre-drilled and in some cases, pre-dimpled.

I should have added… there are a few places that aren’t pre-punched for nut plates. The fiberglass tailcone fairing and wheels pants are the first to my mind. Not enough to where a nut plate jig is a must have tool. It would be nice but you can get by without.

I should have added… there are a few places that aren’t pre-punched for nut plates. The fiberglass tailcone fairing and wheels pants are the first to my mind. Not enough to where a nut plate jig is a must have tool. It would be nice but you can get by without.

I bought a nut plate jig seven or eight airplanes ago. I've used it maybe a 1/2 dozen times.

Homemade jig

Keep one around by cutting the head of the bolt off and leaving it in the nut plate.

Phil, Mel, Joe and Webb,

Thanks for the input. So, I guess with a dozen or so where I have to drill, the nut plate with bolt option is the solution.

Thanks to all,

-Tom