Jeff A

Well Known Member
I just received this through AIN Alerts that I subscribe to and thought some others might find it interesting. The letter specifically addresses the mounting and retention of the Artex ME406 ELT that I know alot of people are using, but clearly the NTSBs recommendation is to ensure ALL ELTs are properly installed and maintained. Just wanted to share with others.....enjoy.

http://www.ntsb.gov/Recs/letters/2010/A-10-169-170.pdf

ELT Recommendation by NTSB

I saw it somewhere today too. However, it's a RECOMMENDATION by the NTSB to the FAA, so it may take a while for it to reach us. Seems the search for the crash that killed Sen. Ted Stevens in Alaska was hampered substantially because they didn't have an ELT signal. When they found the wreckage, the ELT had activated but it was separated from its mounting bracket and its antenna.

Say, wasn't a Senator's or Congressman's death in Alaska way back in the '70's the reason ELT's were mandated in the first place? [See "P.S." below.]

Interesting...

Alaska is a challenging place to fly, PLUS there are a LOT of airplanes flying there.

Don

P.S. Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia: "The original impetus for the program in the U.S. was the loss of Congressmen Hale Boggs (D-LA) and Nick Begich (D-AK) in the Alaskan wilderness on October 16, 1972. A massive search effort failed to locate them. The result was a U.S. law mandating that all aircraft carry an emergency locator transmitter."

Last edited:
It sounds like they are just recommending what should be done per FAR every annual/condition inspection...:rolleyes:

91.207 - partial -

(d) Each emergency locator transmitter required by paragraph (a) of this section must be inspected within 12 calendar months after the last inspection for—

(1) Proper installation;

(2) Battery corrosion;

(3) Operation of the controls and crash sensor; and

(4) The presence of a sufficient signal radiated from its antenna.

Errr... correction.

Every 12 months, does not need to coincide with the annual/condition inspection - however, the annual/condition inspection should verify that the ELT inspection is current...:)

Last edited: