alcladrv

Well Known Member
As a replacement for my Van's 60 amp alternator, which appears to be failing (15+ volt output). A Google search found NSA brand.
Anybody have experience with NSA brand alternators? 55 amp. Said to fit 1987 Suzuki Samurai. about $132 + shipping (free shipping from some vendors) from several online auto parts websites, but not NAPA.

Product Description: OEM Replacement New Alternator, No Reused Components, Includes A Manufacturer's Two Year Warranty.

Comments? Opinions?

Thanks, Mike

Just a name of rebuild company

It is just the name of the rebuild company in Virgina.
http://www.nsaproducts.com/pages/657797/index.htm

NSA's web site says they are ISO QS-9000-Certified manufacturer and 100% OEM compliant. That is nice words and it probably does assure some Quality Control. My guess is it will be better than what you got from Van's. That's not saying much. Van had a poor supplier of alternators in my opinion.

NSA looks like a good company. I find it interesting how they explain how the rebuild market is going new. http://www.nsaproducts.com/pages/684690/index.htm

That's true. The market is flooded with cheap China made aftermarket alternators. (Wounder why the US has a trade deficit with China?) What they don't mention is not all aftermarket parts are good. There may be three or four manufactures of parts. Its just cheaper to sell new (china clone) units than rebuild a used unit. ND (nippon denso) stopped making this model years ago. I guess the patent has expired so they can have at making clones and there is a market for them.

If you go to the neighborhood Auto Emporium you can usually pay about $130 and get a LIFE TIME warranty! You may want to try local part stores verses mail order. If they want a car ID or plate number give them one or just say its for a Suzuki Samurai not licensed for road use. Don't tell them plane.

You also may want to keep the old alternator and just get a new Voltage regulator at about $25-$35? You can bolt it in with hand tools. There was a whole batch of bad alternators Van was sold in my estimation and opinion. ND (nippon denso the original manufacture) are very reliable.

If you want a replacement voltage regulator go to an auto electric rebuild specialty shop and tell them you need a VR for a Lester #14684 (Suzuki samurai). They may even throw it in for free and bench test it. It will take about 5 minutes to bolt it in. It comes out as a module.

For the new alternator, make sure you have cooling air blast tube on the back of the Voltage Regulator fins and put a small heat shield on the #1 pipe to block radiant exhaust pipe heat from cooking the VR.

I'm curious, HOW LONG DID THE OLD ALTERNATOR LAST?

Last edited:
I also bought the Suzuki Samuri (1987) ND alternator for use on my 9a. It was rebuilt by Boosch and carrys a lifetime warranty from NAPA. I only have 105 hrs on the plane at this point but it has never faltered and I do have it monitored by the AF2500--amps, volts, standard indicators and voice warning system. I also switch it on line before start and leave it on until after shut down--as George suggested.

Cheers,

Dave B.
RV9a/ECi0360/James Cowl/Catto Prop--105 hrs and a permanent smile!!!

Fix it!

Why not take it apart a go to your local starter/alt repair shop and buy a new regulator and fix it yourself. These things aren't that difficult to repair saving yourself tons of money in the mean time. I just repaired the alt on my Ford ranger for $50 for a new rotor and a set of brushes VS $125 for a rebuilt alt. If you can build and fly an airplane surely you can handle this. :)

My Van's 60 amp alternator has lasted 182 hours over the last 18 months. On my last flight, it was putting out 14.9 to 15.3 volts. I'm going to fix it or change it out before it ruins anything. I've had a blast tube blowing on the back of it since it was installed, but no heat shield from the exhaust pipe I didn't realize the error of my ways as I've always turned it on after the engine was started.

That procedure will change with the repaired alternator. I'm going to take it down to the local rebuild shop this afternoon.

Thanks everyone for you help

Mike

Last edited:
Slight Differences

As I noted on another thread, I replaced my Van's alternator last week. I went straight to the auto parts store and picked up a fresh rebuilt Lester #14684 (I would have just replaced the VR, but it was Saturday, and all the alternator rebuild places were closed. I'm going to go buy a spare VR and brushes to keep in my travel kit).

One thing that I noticed is that the housing and mounting ears were different between the old one and the new one. Both of them had the same font housing, but on the unit from Van's, the rear pivot lug was made from a stamping that was bolted to the case, whereas the "new" unit had the rear pivot leg as part of the rear housing casting. Both of them fit fine, and technically were the same units. the newer one looks more rugged to me. Sorry, no pictures to illustrate - maybe next time the cowl comes off.

Paul