I have seen these.

Stupid question, I realize, but...Is there such a thing as a nut (just a regular old nut) a la AN924s, but for NPT threads?

A LONG LONG TIME ago...........

They held on some gascolator part?

They must have been proprietary, and the company might have gone out of business, because I have not seen them in at least 20 years.

I know that this is not really any help, but if you think they existed, either I'm crazy or we are both crazy:p

Just an idea: You could buy a coupler with a hex body and then just cut a portion off to make a nut. You make have to ream the "nut" out to get it to thread up the taper as far as you need it to.

Thanks, guys...I was just looking for an easy solution to a stupid problem. I have other solutions that I can use, was just hoping that there would be such a beast.

Actually, that's kind of odd, wouldn't you think? You have something that is threaded, but there is never a need for a nut to thread onto it? NPT only ever goes into a threaded hole?

I guess the taper is the problem...duh, should have thought of that...

There is such a thing

I don't know if it is technically an NPT nut, but I have used something like this in my homebrewing setup. It was threaded onto a piece of pipe and used to seal an O-ring against the side of a kettle, IRRC.

Here is a picture of the setup curtousy of MoreBeer.com. The item in question is just to the left of the two washers and orange O-ring. You can sort of see how it would be used to apply pressure to the washsers and seal the O-ring against the inside wall of a cooler.

phpThumb_generated_thumbnailjpg.jpg

As mentioned before, it won't create a seal on the pipe threads. Hope that helps.

I don't know if it is technically an NPT nut, but I have used something like this in my homebrewing setup. It was threaded onto a piece of pipe and used to seal an O-ring against the side of a kettle, IRRC.

Here is a picture of the setup curtousy of MoreBeer.com. The item in question is just to the left of the two washers and orange O-ring. You can sort of see how it would be used to apply pressure to the washsers and seal the O-ring against the inside wall of a cooler.

phpThumb_generated_thumbnailjpg.jpg

As mentioned before, it won't create a seal on the pipe threads. Hope that helps.

Thanks! I don't need it to create a seal, just to hold a pipe thread-pipe thread reducer in place passing through the firewall. Firewall sealant on the outside will also help to keep things from moving around...

Electrical department will have those thin nuts with teeth, called conduit clamps or nuts. Used to clamp rigid conduit to boxes all the time. The nuts will stretch a little to accommodate the taper. 1/2" NPT is probably smallest size available.

Are you sure it is tapered thread??

Electrical conduit uses a series of nuts on threads that are "pipe" threads, but not always tapered.

You might want to check into the "aviation aisle" at Home Depot or similar.

Good luck.

P.S., look at aviation bulkhead fittings too

Last edited:
BUlkhead fitting ?

Maybe should use a bulkhead fitting thru the firewall for the support with the correct end connections.

Would something like this help?

Gives you a female NPT both sides of your firewall. I'm using one to take my manifold pressure line into the cabin. The Van's restrictor wouldn't fit in my cylinder head so I put it the other end of the hose, connected to this bulkhead fitting. Also made it relatively easy to split the manifold line in the cabin for the EMS and LightSpeed EI.
P_05_06_01_1871.jpg

http://www.legris.com/Legris_ecom/RechercherReferencesTypeArticle.do?codeReferenceRecherche=1871%2000%2011&codeReferenceASelectionner=1871%2000%2011&codeActivite=BP&codeGroupe=05&codeFamille=06&codeSousFamille=01&codeTypeArticle=1871&codeFiliale=uk&codeLangue=en_GB

Would something like this help?

Gives you a female NPT both sides of your firewall. I'm using one to take my manifold pressure line into the cabin. The Van's restrictor wouldn't fit in my cylinder head so I put it the other end of the hose, connected to this bulkhead fitting. Also made it relatively easy to split the manifold line in the cabin for the EMS and LightSpeed EI.
P_05_06_01_1871.jpg

http://www.legris.com/Legris_ecom/RechercherReferencesTypeArticle.do?codeReferenceRecherche=1871%2000%2011&codeReferenceASelectionner=1871%2000%2011&codeActivite=BP&codeGroupe=05&codeFamille=06&codeSousFamille=01&codeTypeArticle=1871&codeFiliale=uk&codeLangue=en_GB

That's what I'm using (it's for the brake fluid reservoir, the clear one from Blue Sky Aviation).