John Courte

Well Known Member
There was a brief moment of hesitation before I dropped the envelope in the mailbox, but it's done. I have sent off the order and a check for an RV-7 QB Tip-up. I'm getting that almost-at-the-top-of-the-roller-coaster feeling.

Freaking out, just a bit....

John Courte said:
There was a brief moment of hesitation before I dropped the envelope in the mailbox....

I'm hoping the hesitation was "should I order 1 or 2"

Just build one for now you can always build another later.

I guess I thought of it exactly the opposite. I have had to make many decisions in my life and I have debated most of them for a long time, but placing my order (1 month ago) was the easiest decision I have ever made. Most look at me like I am crazy and sometimes I get treated like I am a kid and not taken seriously. Now no offence to anyone out there but I refuse to wait till I retire or have the time or have all the money to start this project. I am going to do this now (I am 29) and will have many years to enjoy it. I am sure that I can make it work and I know that I will be flying a lot sooner now then if I was ?what if?ing? this thing to death or waiting for the perfect time to start the project. I wish you the best of luck and hope to one day (soon) see you in the skies.

Wonderful

John, KC,
You guys are doing what so few Americans (and others) do. Build an airplane??? :eek: Then go and fly in it??? :eek: In case you haven't seen the following bit of Teddy Roosevelt's philosophy, here it is:

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, and comes short again and again....who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat.

In a speech in Paris, 1910

Build on my friends,

Kilo Charlie said:
I guess I thought of it exactly the opposite. I have had to make many decisions in my life and I have debated most of them for a long time, but placing my order (1 month ago) was the easiest decision I have ever made. Most look at me like I am crazy and sometimes I get treated like I am a kid and not taken seriously. Now no offence to anyone out there but I refuse to wait till I retire or have the time or have all the money to start this project. I am going to do this now (I am 29) and will have many years to enjoy it. I am sure that I can make it work and I know that I will be flying a lot sooner now then if I was ?what if?ing? this thing to death or waiting for the perfect time to start the project. I wish you the best of luck and hope to one day (soon) see you in the skies.

Same here. I'm 35 and if all goes according to plan A (and we all know how often THAT happens!) I'll be ordering the tailfeathers this Christmas. My wife swears she will NOT sit in the fuselage in the garage and make airplane noises with me. :(

Up to my ears

I remember having that same feeling when I called in my empennage order. Scary. Building this bird has been the most shop-fun I have ever had. You really won't be sorry.

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Fuselage (slow-build)
San Ramon, CA

Me Too...

I faxed in my order this morning...

I delayed until I had the chance to look at all my options at Sun-N-Fun.

After many months of tool gathering, workbench construction, an EAA metal workshop, sample kits, and last minute second thoughts even after Sun-N-Fun, I finally came to one question:

"Why the heck did I wait so long!!!!"

John Edwards
N5806L (Grumman Traveler)
RV-9A - Slider - Empennage

Last edited:
John, Congrats! I am 3 weeks into the emp. on a -4 now. Being 26, and single, I have time nearly every day to work on it. I spend 10 hours a day, as a Flight Mechanic on the Cessna Citation Mustang, then come home to more airplane parts. I need to update progress, but about 35 hours in, the horizontal is ready to have everything primed, assembled, and skinned. Best of luck to you!

Gregg
RV4,
Emp. (Gotta slow down, or will be ready for wings before I am *gulp* $$ 'ready')

I started mine when I was 22 years old and just starting my Air Force career with Undergradute Pilot Training. Took me 7+ years and a lot of work, but it was definitely worth it. You just made the best decision of your life.