guzziguy

I'm New Here
Anybody ever thought of putting the airspeed indicator on the nose vice under the wing? I'm sure propwash would be an issue while idling, but at cruise?

pressures too disturbed

At all power settings, you would not get an accurate airspeed reading. The pressure is just too disturbed.

Lots of the Rutan guys do it.

The RV 12 has it through the spinner.

I suspect the reason you dont see it done has something to do with 100+ years of aviation development.

O.K., serious now. I dont think it is a good idea----prop blast will cause issues at any speed.

Pretty sure he used "vice" to mean "versus". Looks like a military guy (a common use of the word in that vernacular...AMHIK! :))

A nose vice sounds like a painful torture device! :D

Cheers,
Bob

Why?

Anybody ever thought of putting the airspeed indicator on the nose vice under the wing? I'm sure propwash would be an issue while idling, but at cruise?

First question always is Why would you want to put it on the nose?

All planes that where listed so far in this thread that have it in the nose do not have prop blast. Plenty of other example like F-15, F-117, F/A-18, and B-2. Of coarse I heard that B-2 spent $10M and 4000 hours of wind tunnel time calibrating the air data system.

I would first calibrate it with a good probe in a know position to give good data.