Brantel

Well Known Member
For those that have experience with the 4000 rpm 1/4? Nova drills....

I know the keyless chuck is faster but is it any less balanced or likely to cause vibrations and or weird holes vs the regular keyed chuck?

I am soon to be drilling longerons and stuff and my old Harbor Frieght drill is not cutting the mustard this go round!

Drill

RV10, that's a lot of holes!
I have a Sioux with manual chuck. On the longeron, I it worked great for the reasons you mention.

A good drill like a sioux is $$$ but you will never regret it, especially with all the holes you have to drill. My keyless chuck is perfect and so convenient. I would never go back. Also, don't scrimp on cheap drill bits. Get good cobalt ones and buy lots.

I love my ¼" NOVA drill. I have the standard chuck and don't miss having a keyless one. I do like the fact that the NOVA is so compact. The keyless chuck may interfere in the tightest of spaces.

This little key holder makes a standard chuck a breeze. It's just a small file handle with a slot to accept the key and JB welded in.
key1.jpg

PS-I can't image the Sioux being worth the extra cost...maybe in an industrial application where it's being used all day every day.
As far as I'm concerned, my NOVA was a great value. I'm almost done with my -7 sheet metal and it still runs like new.
The NOVA 90° drill is also a great drill :)

Last edited:
At the recommendation of the folks at Synergy Air, I purchased a "Texas Palm Drill, 1/4" with standard chuck from The Yard Store. I've used this for a couple of years now to nearly complete my RV-10, and it has been flawless. They also sell one with a keyless chuck if that is your preference. It's about half the price of the Sioux, which they also sell.

You can see their full variety of pneumatic drills at https://www.yardstore.com/pneumatic-tools-and-acces/drills/pneumatic-pistol-grip/new

At the recommendation of the folks at Synergy Air, I purchased a "Texas Palm Drill, 1/4" with standard chuck from The Yard Store. I've used this for a couple of years now to nearly complete my RV-10, and it has been flawless. They also sell one with a keyless chuck if that is your preference. It's about half the price of the Sioux, which they also sell.

You can see their full variety of pneumatic drills at https://www.yardstore.com/pneumatic-tools-and-acces/drills/pneumatic-pistol-grip/new

When I was at Synergy they recommended the NOVA...both drills must be good :D

And Pan American Tool has an excellent warranty. My angle drill was about 20 years old and the gear stripped and they repaired it at no cost. I could not believe it. The repair man Phil, I do believe his name was said the parts and labor were so little that he did not bother billing me as the PR would be worth more so here I am sharing my experience with Pan American.

Nova drill

I have the nova 4K rpm drill with the keyless chuck. Part #60-310B. I love it and have zero complaints. Been using it 2 years now and it has been fantastic. I highly recommend them.

I do not have any experience with Sioux so can't give an opinion between the two.

Also using Nova

I have a Nova 4000rpm and 3200 rpm standard chuck and really enjoy both of them. Great products.

I have one of their ACAT drills, a short angle drill, and have found it to decent enough, with a quite nice trigger. But it seems to use more air than my other tools.

For the price, they're definitely worth a try.

Dave

I have ordered and received the 4000 rpm version of the 1/4” Nova drill motor. I am amazed at how small and compact the tool is. Feels like a high quality tool.

After a few test holes... WOW! I can’t believe I built an entire RV-7 with that HF drill motor! What in the world was I thinking?

The Nova is super quiet, super smooth, and super fast! The price is amazing as well for such a quality tool!

I am going to enjoy drilling holes again!