Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
Copied from Vansaircraft site. Something about it is appealing:

My goal was to keep it simple and light. It flies like the RV7 I flew when I took my transition training with Mike. I really don’t have anyone to thank, the entire plane was completed by me, every rivet. My wife has never been supportive and still is not. My children were too young when I started and have never had any interest in it.

I do want to thank everyone at Van’s aircraft for the support during the construction.

Copied from Vansaircraft site. Something about it is appealing:

My goal was to keep it simple and light. It flies like the RV7 I flew when I took my transition training with Mike. I really don?t have anyone to thank, the entire plane was completed by me, every rivet. My wife has never been supportive and still is not. My children were too young when I started and have never had any interest in it.

I do want to thank everyone at Van?s aircraft for the support during the construction.

Wow... sounds kinda bitter, but I can see where he is coming from! All of my support has come from VAF and a handfull of you guys that I have had the opportunity to meet in person (Chris Pratt, Charlie Kearns, Mel, Jeremy Fields). I can't get my girlfriend interested in this stuff at all. I've tried. So when I'm in the garage sweating, drilling, and pounding rivets... its just me, a cell phone for the tough situations, and good old Hank Williams Jr. in the background. :)

Good times...

-Daniel

Having built my airplane partly as therapy for a marriage that was never going to recover, and on through the divorce, I feel a great deal of empathy for the person who wrote that post. Yes, I had the occasional visitor, but 99.9% of the plane I built myself - with the moral support and spiritual participation of the online, "virtual" community. But mostly, the work was solitary - and therapeutic.

I hope that he now discovers the incredible world of friends and acquaintances that are out thee in RV-land....it sure worked for me!

Paul

Not all good things come out of good circumstances. Flying and building are life-changing experiences; some change will be good, some will be bad. It's what you choose to take from those experinces that makes us who we are.

TODR

Just out of curiosity, those of you who claim that you've driven all of your own rivets, how do you buck your own rivets when building the wings and fuse? There are just too many places that I can't imagine HOW one could reach around with a bucking bar. The friend who bucked my rivets had a hard enough time getting to some of those without having to run the gun as well.

How is it done?

That is a bit of a sad read. At least he has an airplane he can say he built himself.

I am fortunate my wife supports our dreams of building our RV-7 fully. Just yesterday she said we'd better get started or we'll never finish. She knows she will shoot a lot of rivets and is looking foreward to getting started. I feel for the guys whose wives don't like airplanes and flying.

wil

This brings back some bad memories. The main reason I wanted side by side seating is that I wanted to share my love of flying with others and allow them to take part. I put off starting my project for about a year trying to get my wife's support, I finally gave up and placed the order.

The RV7 has been great therapy after the subsequent separation and pending divorce. Lucky for me, my adult son has taken an interest and comes over a few times each week to help. He has earned his spot as first passenger after phase one.

Those of you with supportive wives, you're lucky men! You owe your wife a big hug because it seems they are a minority.

Those of you with supportive wives, you're lucky men! You owe your wife a big hug because it seems they are a minority.

Thats no joke! Im not married... but I REALLY wish my girlfriend would take interest. When I convince her to go fly in a spam can, she gets sick. :( She's pretty sensitive to motion sickness, so im sure that doesn't help. I'll bet 99% of my flights will be solo. :(

My wife supports the project, in theory, if not in practice. She can't stand the sound of air tools, ear protection or not. And the vibration of the air drill is, and I quote, "icky." She has also gone full into her project (I won't dare call it a hobby), which I'll call Extreme Gardening (tm). I'm all for it, I get fresh fruits and veggies most of the time.

But still. It would be nice to have that extra brain in the shop once in a while to keep me on track with the measuring, the reading of plans, etc. I keep telling her, it's like sewing, but with metal. She's not buying it.

Oh well. I can live with the role of the mad scientist in the shop out back.

I'm a lucky guy. My wife is very supportive.

50% or more of all of my clecos have been installed/removed by her, and she drove the majority of the rivets on my wings while I bucked. She also does her best to keep the shop tidy, despite me leaving tools all over. She's the goto gal when I can't find something, and she almost always knows where it is.

All of this and she really doesn't have any significant interest in GA.

What's wrong with gardening and sewing?

We are all better rounded when we have our hobbies. John I wonder if you could get your wife interested in working on the interior of your airplane (you said she likes to sew right?) It is a creative challenge, but very rewarding when you go to a fly-in and someone asks who did your interior.

Wow! Sad read, all right. I couldn't be happier that my wife is so supportive. She flies with me when asked, and stays home those other times. Gotta go post about yesterday's "other" time...

Bob Kelly

Same situation here

My wife could careless about my Lancair. I have to drag her to the airport to show her the progress and even that is like. "Oh, ok lets go." Im pretty sure she will never fly in it.
My son is too young to help and I'm almost done.
The only one who supported this desire to build an airplane was my Father and he passed away before he could see any of it.
I get all my help and questions answered from this forum and Lancair. My hangar mate helps me with questions too. But I've never had anybody really help build unless they were getting paid.
But at least I am building so I'm not really worried about who supports it.

Been married 38 years and my wife has highly supported this project. She'll even listen to the scanner at work, and head out the front door to see my fly over. Her company owner has a Cessna 206, and he sometimes comes out for a look too! :)

Mines a side by side, because I like the company. My wife and I are planning numerous vacations to the southwest deserts of Utah/Arizona, which include Lake Powell, Monument Valley, and the Grand Canyon. That's something we did years ago in the Archer.

I have five kids and they've been supportive too. Some of their web sites have video of the RV in flight. Most were there to see the first flight, even though I didn't want a crowd. A son plans to finish his PPL in the 6A.

I had read this first flight post earlier, and felt a bit luckier, I suppose...

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Wow, lots of different family situations between us

This is an interesting thread for all builders, but particularly for those of us with "the problem." In the early years of the project she really complained about it. Finally I decided to sell and move on. I ran an ad in Trade-A-Plane but didn't tell my wife or the kids. An interested buyer called while I was at work and my wife answered. At dinner that night she and the kids asked why I was selling. I told them it was time move on instead of continually mothballing the project for the sake of household peace. My kids were in disbelief because they had never known life at our house without the project in the shop. My son got emotional over the whole matter. My wife caved in and has been encouraging ever since. She doesn't buck rivets or assist with building but her saber is no longer hanging from her belt.

Almost done now

Last edited:
The guy with the Hank Jr just needs to send a few CD's over to the Lone-Riveteer. That'll fix everything right.

My wife can take all the credit she wants: She's done zero rivets, but she's still here after seeing the bill for the instruments.

I got the best of the bunch!

Guts;

My wife told me to build another plane,:D one for the two of us to fly in. No you can't have her,:p and no she has no sisters.:eek:

Mike Bauer

RV-3 N87LB flying
RV-4 N742MC 90% complete

I know I am one of the lucky ones. I saw Van's RV-4 on the cover of Private Pilot almost 30 years ago, and when I said that's the airplane I would like to build, she's the one who said to stop talking about it and do it. And many airplanes later she still does the interiors, deburrs, and helps paint (actually directs the painting if you want to know the truth!). Can't get her to rivet yet. She has never complained about the bills, and almost daily Spruce deliveries either!
I did learn long ago (and a good thing I learned) is that they aren't always interested in the flying aspects or the technical side that some of us love. But find nice restaraunts, nice locations with beaches or wildllife preserves, and family trips/vacations, and everyone wins.
I build for the therapy, too, although there are certain parts of the building that give a whole new meaning to the word therapy, such as the fuel tanks and fiberglass! I enjoy working with my hands, and my daily job doesn't allow that anymore. It's funny how as we get older we assume more responsibilities.
For those that are lucky, make sure you nurish it. For those that aren't feeling so lucky, I really don't know what to say. That's not my area of expertise.

I'm one of the lucky ones!

It turns out my wife Nora is as much a gear head as I am.

The tail kit was ordered just before our first date and the fuselage before our wedding. From the very start she has been right there along with me.

In fact, she has either bucked or driven at least a 1/3rd of the rivets in the plane and should I head off to the airport without her, she feels left out.

Here are a few pictures of Nora helping out:
Drilling the HS Spar
Riveting a bottom wing skin on
Helping inventory the fuselage kit
Match drilling the fuselage
You get the idea, she was right there along with me for the entire journey.

Long trips or short, she just wants to ride along.

In fact she is pushing me to secure the carseat in the back of the plane so we can take our new baby with us to Grandma's.

My wife was very supportive early in the build. Prior to the built start, I told her I needed a toolbox. For Christmas, she bought me a giant toolbox on wheels like you see at the auto shop.

Once FWF at the airport, she was growing tired of the process especially being away from home so many nights. That helped me expedite the completion. I feel sorry for everyone that doesn't have the support.

She's not crazy about flying and only likes to fly when we go on trips. Although last month, she did join me on doing some wingovers & chandelles. She wanted to see how I could control the plane.

Last weekend on a trip to NC, she fell asleep.:cool:

Last edited:
Just had to post how lucky I feel, and I know how that guys feels...

That's some funny stuff....

I had wanted to build a plane for the last 20 years, but with my first wife I was to busy raising the kids while she was out partying and spending all the money on hair, nails, clothes, plastic surgery, booze, cigarettes and god knows where else so I was always broke :eek:

I finally managed to get out of that (cost me plenty), I kept the kids and found a new wife who saved my life! About a year after we were married I told her my ambition of building and her answer was.... "what are you waiting for you ain't get no younger, order the stupid thing" :D

Well after 4 years of her visiting me in the garage every hour with a cup of coffee, tea, cookies, milk lemonade, homemade goodies etc etc. I was done. After a few white knuckle flights she really started enjoying the flying and now every week it's "Honey where we flyin to this weekend?" And "Honey why don't you do a few more rolls, I really like those" :p and "honey why don't you build a 10, they look really nicel"

When it's time for a little maintenance I'll head out to the hanger early and she'll bring out lunch a few hours later and hang out with me and read a book.

So life is good, now if I just didn't have to work for a livin I'd have it made!

My wife proved to the JUDGE that she built 26% of the first RV.:mad:

So the JUDGE gave it to her.:eek:

Be careful what you wish for..:cool:

Just kidding, but it did get your attention....:D

Thats too funny

My wife and I were just reading this thread and laughed ourselves silly at this last post.

Those of us with support at home are indeed the lucky ones.

I'm almost afraid to stick my toe in the water on this one but heck...when did I ever let THAT stop me. I recently seperated in my long term relationship. The airplane was never a factor...she never complained, thought it was great, had nails to die for and after coaxing I can say she installed one cleco and drove one rivet, the bucking bar was too dirty. She always was there and supported me. I think that a relationship fails for many reasons, the building of an airplane is just one way to rationalize it. My case had nothing to do with building an airplane, my Dad passed away last December after a long battle with Alzheimers and a short battle with merciful bone cancer. I had an exceptional relationship with my Father, actually both of my parents. When he died...I retreated, ran into myself. I'm getting over that, the airplane I am building is almost finished and he so wanted to fly in it...I pride myself in always being able to get things done on time and under budget..I failed to do this and get my Dad in that plane. So, I broke everything off..like it was the right thing to do...I don't need any stinking support, I can do it all, life included alone. That was until I moved it to the airport....Too much help there but I can't hide. Tonight I visited and talked with the "long term ex" I'm thinking for the first time in my life, I was really, really wrong. You guys that have the support, enjoy it, for those who don't have that support..make sure you are not the one who enables that lack of support...a bit of introspection may be in order...I can't beleive I'm about to click submit...but heck that's what VAF therapy is all about right?

FWIW, the "Ex" just said I'm here waiting for you when you get your head on straight...I feel the twisting on my head as we speak...careful what you wish for right?

Counting My Blessings

I have been down the road with a wife and various GF's that did not support my flying, and made it miserable for me when I wanted to go burn around for an hour. As a matter of fact my ex was the aircraft owner in the family, and she only wanted to fly when I was gone on a trip. However, when there were squaks on the plane, she made sure that I had time to go to the airport! Could not eject fast enough, and the divorce was worth every penny!!
My wife of the last four years and best friend of the last six, is completely supportive of my passion.
When we were still dating, she came to the airport to help me out with the annual on my PA-20 Pacer. She removed all the inspection panels, and then rolled up her sleeves to learn to clean plugs, and time magnetos. We were engaged at Arlington, while we were peeling the Poly Spray off our fingers after a fabric covering seminar!
When my wife and I decided to get a sporty plane, it was her who said "get an RV-6" (I wanted an Eagle to satiate my desire to hurl my lunch on a regular basis). We bought the RV, and she is always willing to work on it and go flying.
BTW...My wife has no sisters, either:D

From one who seldom flies solo...

Well I haven't looked at this thread for several days. It seems to have turned into a spousal appreciation thread.
Those of you that know Ann, know how lucky I am. For those of you who don't; I met her in 1974 and gave her her first airplane ride in my Swift. By 1985, she had her Private Pilot ticket, she has helped me build many airplanes, she has convinced me to build an extra hangar, she has been President of EAA Chapter 168 twice, she was just elected Vice-President for next year, and it goes on from there.
She asks for very little, and when she does, I do everything in my power to see that she gets it.

Some help in other ways...

My wife doesn't particularly enjoy helping me with the plane. If I ask, she will help. But, I know she doesn't enjoy it. So, I try not to ask too often.

However, it is important to note that she does way more than her share of the "chores" around the house. And, she doesn't complain about certain house/yard projects not getting completed in a timely manner. This gives me more free time to work on the plane. So, spousal support doesn't just happen when they are banging rivets. Be sure to notice and acknowledge if your wife is helping in this manner as well.

Also, as some others have noted about their wives, my wife doesn't complain about the costs. She encourages me to build it the way I want.

We are hoping she can fly with me when its done. She has had some trouble with motion sickness when I took her up in spam cans. We are hoping that a stronger dosage of Bonine will help her keep her lunch where it belongs.

Had a GF between spouse #1 and the current who didn't like me flying. Too dangerous. That was just a symptom of a much deeper (and scary) personality disorder! I still count my blessings for getting out of that relationship before it was too late. Every time I think about it I hear Elton John singing in my head "Someone saved my life tonight!" :)

Yer killin' me!

Oh come on... no one's said it yet?

Do you really want your significant other in the garage all the time?!?

Get real! Hah!