benneal

Hi, I just made it official and registered this morning for VAF (Paid dues for 2013 while I was signing up) I have been using the bandwidth here for the past year lurking around and reading. Thought it was time to make it official.

A little story on me. I'm 27 married, 3 kids (5yrs,2yrs,10mos) in the process of getting my PPL. I have been around aviation most of my life and consider flying the best thing in the world.

I attended Airventure 4 times now and I got bit by the homebuilding bug in 2011. Since then I have put countless hours in researching different kits. I'm narrowed down to the Vans line 9tw or oddly enough the Zenith Zodiac (due to time to build almost roughly 1/2 the construction time/LSA)

The reason I am asking this is looks like the 9 would take at a slow pace 1500hours to complete. Possibly longer as I am a numbers/computer geek and not so much of a rivet banger. In the end I know the RV9 is the best for the dollar between the 2 kits I above listed. Reason I am mostly settled on the 9 is I like the fact that I have more engine choices 0-235 on up. I live in a place where I can find all kinds of ethanol free gas and will be running mogas on a constant basis so I like that fact. Also speed-where going fast will be nice most of my time will be sight seeing loafing along at 90kts just enjoying life or hauling it to oshkosh. Most flights under 30 minutes. So the 9 with the longer wing has some appeal. Keeping it simple. Manual flaps, Manual trim, etc. Tailwheel. Going to be doing a bunch of grass strip flights as I am going to be selling my house and building hanger/home with some acreage for my boys to play on. I could probably get away with 1400/1500 feet if I am looking at things correctly.

I am not in this to complete the aircraft in record time. I am in this for the journey and spending time with my dad and my boys as they get older and learning. I'll probably put in 20-30 hours per month so I know it's going to be a 5yr project at the very earliest.

So in the end to all the builders out there am I sounding realistic on this? or are there curveballs you could toss me that I havent seen coming?

Cheers,
Ben

Welcome to VAF!

(I've always wanted to beat Mike Starkey to the welcome, but it's almost impossible!)

Welcome to VAF, Ben.
I've met a lot of young guys with families and young children to raise and for some of them, it was 12-14 years, by the time you take them to Little League, keep the wife happy and climb the corporate ladder, keeping bosses and such happy...a real balancing act to keep a happy home and finances in the black.

Just focus on each subsection, like the empennage and when it's done, it's done. Then on to the wings and so on.

Best,

Welcome to VAF!

(I've always wanted to beat Mike Starkey to the welcome, but it's almost impossible!)

Scott, wow a guy goes flying once in a while and he gets busted for it;):D

Hey Ben, like the other guys said, Welcome aboard VAF

Thanks for the welcome! I am looking forward to actually being able to give status updates on my build as well as maybe contribute something to this board one day (if you ever have any Verizon wireless questions feel free to ask, got you covered there) In the meantime the search box is my best friend.

Cheers
Ben

Welcome to VAF Ben!

I think if you surveyed builders, you would find what one builder can do in 20 hours, may take another 40 hours and someone more skilled could complete it in 10 to 15 hours. My point is the hours to build vary greatly from one builder to the next. You can't go wrong with an RV, I am partial to the 9 myself. I am a slow builder. Working on my RV-9 for 26 months, putting bottom wing skins on now and I have completed the firewall for the fuse. Best of luck on whatever you choose.

Well....It wouldn't surprise me at all if I am a slow builder. I'm a great numbers/sales guy but rivet banging well...I've never done it. I had to google what "countersinking" was. I don't even change my own oil in my cars. Not egotistical but I cant buy oil and a filter for less than $20 so why bust a knuckle? But after seeing all the support in this forum (not the fact I am going to be an "askhole" and ask a question every time I do not want to use my brain. But this has to be one of the biggest decision making factors for me is the VAF. I was at oshkosh this past year and was amazed by the random acts of kindness and information each builder showed me. I have been watching this forum for a year and I am impressed by the knowledge here. I know I'll have issues and realistically know I should purchase a flying aircraft instead of buy. But it's my passion and love for aviation and the time I want to spend with my boys and my father/friends that will make this project worth it's weight. Oh yeah....my wife supports me in this. As she stated "if you go ahead and start building it in the garage atleast I don't have to hear you talk about it, I will just have to listen rivets" She's a great woman....she went to oshkosh with me with 3 kids in a tent youngest being 4 mos old last year.

It's a wild ride...

to say the least. My wife and I only have one child (Amelia, 14 mos). It's a handful to juggle family life with a build. It's good your wife is on board, but be prepared for BOTH of you to want to "jump ship" occasionally.

Some people in this forum have claimed building the plane is more fun than flying. In some ways they're right, but then again, there will be days when you'll want to put everything up for sale and go by a certified.

I'd say building a plane is in some ways like raising a child, although I'm an amatuer. Sometimes it's hard and you just give, give with not much in return, but then some days, it's simply life at its best... :D Welcome to VAF.

Consider the tail kit an experiment.
If you enjoy the work, press on.
If you find you don't, consider it money well spent to find out early.