jeffsvan

Well Known Member
Hello,

Not satisfied with a brow mounted Airpath compass.
I was not able to swing and compensate the compass to my liking.
I believe it is due to the install of a Garmin 430W which is throwing off the compass.

I understand Airpath has a heavy duty compensator one can order?
Has anyone tried this?

Also there is a verticle card compass I could order which has a optional bracket and compensator balls. Would this be a better path to try?
I read that these type compasses are Very sensitive?

thanks

UPDATED Compass swing..

Phoned Airpath to order their High Power compensator to replace my standard unit on a 2200 series brow mount compass.

The tech who I spoke to asked me to first remove my standard compensator and see how bad the swing is. a standard compensator can correct up to 30 degrees deviation while their high power unit can compensate for up to 45 degrees.

Oddly enough when I removed the compensator my compass appears to be much better ! ?

We dont have a compass rose at our airport, but we have a 09 -27 runway, and I have a compass display on my Garmin 496 GPS.

I did a quick swing lining up my plane as best I could using the runway and my taxiways as N S E W , and here is what I saw:

Engine running, all radios and panel lights on.

VISUAL COMPASS GPS 496
--------- ----------- -----------
N 7 0
E 94 90
S 189 186
W 271 271

I am assuming I am OK now? It is OK to use the compass with the compensator unit removed??

thanks guys in advance for any input.

correction card

Don't forget the correction card that should be displayed.

NOPE didnt forget.
I have 2 new cards coming from spruce.

I will try to swing the compass more accurately this weekend.

I am going to call Airpath and check their opinion on using the compass without the compensator installed. I am assuming this is OK?

Working out all of these bugs is a great learning experience for me. I understand how a compass works much better than before.

thanks for your reply