mlw450802

Well Known Member
Rescue in Afghanistan!
rescueah9.png

Wow! Gotta love those military pilots!

-mike

big ones

yeah you are correct. gotta love em. great pic. makes me smile..i remember riding in some of those chinooks and the hydraulic pumps are reeeealy noisy.. .they are kinda like a certain brand of motorcycle (left name less so as not to start a war :D :rolleyes:love them too ) if they are not leaking fluid its cause there out. still love the chinook. boxcar ,anywhere, anytime, :cool:

Last edited:
I drive an RV-8 now, but I used to drive Chinooks. That kind of landing is pretty routine. The fllight engineer talks you down with the rear gear, and it is really easy to hold that hover. You can taxi with the rear wheels on the ground and the front in the air if the power steering doesn't work.

Sure brings back memories, that is a great helicopter.

From Snopes

In November 2003, a U.S.-led coalition launched Operation Mountain Resolve in the Nuristan and Kunar provinces of Afghanistan in order to disrupt anti-coalition militia (ACM) operations and prevent militia members from seeking sanctuary in the rugged Afghan provinces. The above-displayed photograph of the precarious-looking rooftop landing by a CH-47 Chinook helicopter (which began circulating via e-mail in December 2003 and started making the rounds of the Internet again in August 2006) was taken during that operation by U.S. Army Sgt. Greg Heath of the 4th Public Affairs Detachment.

Although the text that accompanied copies of this image sent via e-mail in 2006 suggested the activity shown therein was part of an effort to evacuate wounded coalition soldiers, the photo actually captures the Chinoook helicopter touching down to receive Afghan Persons Under Control (APUC) captured by members of the U.S. 10th Mountain Division.