Jamie

Well Known Member
There's been yet another theft of an aircraft...this time by a pair of punk 14 year-olds. This event occurred in SoCal and they put it down in the Joshua Tree National Forest. There's a video concerning the event on the front page of CNN's website: CNN.com You've gotta give CNN credit on this one...they didn't Chicken Little GA aircraft security.

Why does this happen? I guess I don't understand how people can spend incredible amounts of money on an aircraft only to leave it vulnerable to such simple theft. I understand that some of the recent thefts have been by 'insiders' getting keys, etc. Why don't people make use of things like prop locks or throttle locks? Seems to me like a simple, economical solution. My RV will be my first airplane, so please...someone enlighten me.

I guess I can understand how theft from FBO's happens since many people probably know where the keys to the aircraft are, etc. But what do you all do to secure your aircraft???

Since this happened in my own 'backyard', we've come to find out that one of the kids was related to the owner of the aircraft...

The report I saw indicated the aircraft was owned by the father of one of these misguided youths. If it were my Dad I know I would no longer wonder what I would be when I grew up....my life would be ending soon.