BennyC

I'm New Here
Patron
Hi, If I ever buy a kit, I'd rather not prime as I am sure the plane with out live me. I've hear people say that they primed but that they probably wouldn't prime their next plane. Does anyone regret not priming their plane? I would be building in central PA.
Thank you

Hi, If I ever buy a kit, I'd rather not prime as I am sure the plane with out live me. I've hear people say that they primed but that they probably wouldn't prime their next plane. Does anyone regret not priming their plane? I would be building in central PA.
Thank you
The biggest disadvantage in not priming is in resale. If you have not primed the interior, you have given the potential buyer a lever arm.

I've primed both my Van's RV14A build and my Zenith 750SD build, but I'm using prekote and sem ezcoat rattle can, so it's not as large a lift as other methods, so I don't see it as a huge downside on my time, a few hours here and there, as I try to bundle as much together for a large session of prekote and prime.

I primed with rattle can only where specifically directed. Goal is to have the plane flying inside of 4 years, and resale is highly unlikely unless major shifts in life occur. There maybe some buyers that insist on a plane with interior prime. Other buyers won’t care. In the words of many car dealers… “there’s an A$$ for every seat!” Someone will buy it at a fair price if you ever have to sell.

Thank you
I didn’t prime the interior except for the home depot etching primer spray can where the parts are mated. I save a few pounds like this. I doubt a future buyer will care if the primer is used. If they do, I will gladly point out all the Cessna sitting on the ramp with zero primer.
The only people who care about the primer are the builders who are building now. After the airplane has flown, even the RV owners and builders don’t care. They only comment on the expensive paint scheme on the outside.

Last edited:
I am priming everything on my RV-10 and have considering skipping it many times so that I can move a little quicker, but then I remember this blog post:

https://www.n1017h.com/taking-a-new-stand/

He decided to start priming after the tail cone was finished, so there was no primer on the mating surfaces. I don't know if there were some unusual circumstances that allowed the corrosion to form under the stiffeners but that's enough to keep me priming.