J Crate

C-FNLY "finally" flew for the first time on Aug 24th. The flight was thankfully uneventful, but still a real adrenalin rush. It is powered by an O-320 B2C (160 HP) with a Sensenich Propeller. Only logged .3, so not much info to report at this time. I won't say how long I have been building, but for those with a RV6/6A, my S/N 22362 will give you a clue. Many thanks to Doug and this forum and to all the people that went before me that were willing to share their knowledge. Of course kudos to Van for his great design and his great support team.

I have had private tutoring via email from a few people on this list over the years who probably don't even remember helping me out it was so long ago. Thanks to Gil Alexander, Gary VanRemortel and Mel Jordan. Thanks to my friends Gairy Gonsalves and Murray Lawton who built before me and to Graham Lloyd who volunteered to fly chase in his RV6A. I would also like to thank my wife. Although flying isn't her cup of tea, she has always been a tremendous supporter. Thanking her should also make it easier to break the news to her that I have a new RV7 empennage kit in the basement.

Have included a link, should anyone be looking for something to do for a minute and half of their life. Sorry it's not pretty like all the other planes on this forum...but it flies!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GBhfI9WwPg

John Crate
rv6a(at)rogers.com

John:
Congratulations! Don't let go of that feeling, because it just keeps getting better. I've had my RV for less than a quarter of my flying "life", but its absolutely been the best part. Once your testing is done, check out Brian at Centralia Aircraft Finishing. His level of workmanship will match up well with your persistence.
Best,
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

Great first flight, John. Sounds like an RV and looks like an RV. Don't sweat the lack of paint...it's the soul that counts and your machine has the spirit.

Congrats!

Not Pretty?

I couldn't disagree more! Congratulations from someone who doesn't even have a tail kit!

By the way, I loved the comment about the 7! :D

Michael

Congrats

Congratulations! Your landing lights are outrageously bright. What did you use? That's what I want.

Don't sell yourself short!

John,

That's a beautiful airplane. Don't sell yourself short--you just built an airplane in your garage and flew it. I always think it's funny that bikers think they're special because they're "1% ers". You're a pilot. That places you way ahead. After that, you built an airplane. You must be a .0001% er. Nice job. Enjoy it! :)

You think you have a low serial number!

First of all, congratulations! You did a great job, and if anyone can appreciate your perseverance, it's me. My RV-6A is serial no. 22001. I have the DAR coming next Tuesday (sept 1st) to do the final blessing. I can't wait to join you, and the rest of the airbourne crowd.
Continued good luck.

Steve RV-6A

Congrats - you are the man!!!

John - congratulations on 'finishing' and on flying your beautiful aircraft. I had that same 'not really a big deal' feeling as you when I 'soloed'. After all, the RV is supposed to do what it did!

I like best the comment about informing your wife that you have a 7 emp. in the house. I'll bet that she is just fine with that. And I'll bet that her MAN is a happy person who knows how to 'lead'. Congrats again - to you both.:cool:

Sweet!!

John,

I remember you bought my RV6 tail kit a long time ago in Kingston, Ont. What happened with that?

Glad to see you in the air!!!!!

Looks Good

John

looks and sounds sweet. It looks like it should be light and perform well.

Enjoy it!

Peter

Looks Pretty Good to me

I think she looks great ... in fact she looks a lot like mine :) .... except I finally got the wheel pants on mine.

Congratulations!