Scott Will

Well Known Member
So I was bored trying to figure out when my parents flight out of KCVG would depart for KTYS (and connect to KATL from there)... they had to go via Knoxville since all the direct flights to KATL were packed with holiday travelers. They are flying standby on a major airline. Just looking at Flight Aware I see no RV'ers are up today, at least non that have filed IFR. Typed in all the different RV types and didnt see anyone up!! Guess you are all enjoying the holidays with family and friends or are flying VFR in good weather. The southeast has been IFR all morning and afternoon.

And this brings about another point. If they had just taken me up on the offer to fly at least one of them down in the RV, their journey would have been over hours ago. It's 325 nm from CVG-ATL, just about two hours in the RV. They left my sister's house at 9am this morning and as of 1240pm still havent takeon off from CVG due late arriving equipment. HOPEFULLY they can make a 15 min connection in TYS and then on to ATL, arriving at 310pm. So that's over 6 hours on the majors if all goes well and they make their connection in TYS. And that doesn't include getting bags and driving to our house.

At any rate, I hope everyone is enjoying a great Christmas.

Mosts days there is no RV shown on Flightaware. For all the talk about flying RV's IFR, almost none are. :confused:

Dave

dlloyd3 said:
Mosts days there is no RV shown on Flightaware. For all the talk about flying RV's IFR, almost none are. :confused:

Dave

No, we just fly so fast that we don't spend much time in the system!!! :p

Actually, I have found the perfect way to always ensure great VFR flying weather - build an airplane that has triple redundancy for most IFR features and functions, an autopilot that can do everything but make toast, and a proficient pilot. Put all that together, and the weather is rarely IFR when you want to go....kind of like carrying an umbrella to keep the rain away!

Paul

Christmas RV Flying

Merry Christmas.

I just did 3 touch and go wheel landing at my home base. (KCCB)

I am now draining the oil and will be closing the door shortly. Plugs are out and oil filter is draining. Will finish up tomorrow.

Again, Merry Christmas.

Thanks Van for making my dream of building, owning, and flying my own airplane come true. What a great Christmas Present you gave me.

I need to check my logbook but I think 8 of the last 9 Christmas', I have flown my RV.

There's one..

N277DLRV7Ames Municipal (KAMW)Kennett Mem (KTKX)Mon 12:16PM CSTMon 02:32PM CST02:30

Ooooh, and he's gonna be 8 minutes late too! :)

I didn't know about this tracking website. How cool :)

I filed yesterday

dlloyd3 said:

Dave

I don' t look at those systems to give them a validity check but I flew from FYV to SUS on an IFR flight plan in VMC yesterday (12-24-06) with a 1730Z takoff time. Did I show up? RV-6A N710BJ. As Paul says on these short flights we are not in the system for long.

Bob Axsom

I wish I would have known about this site on Saturday. My oldest two were traveling from Savannahh to Colorado Springs and I could have tracked them the whole way!

Bob Axsom said:
I don' t look at those systems to give them a validity check but I flew from FYV to SUS on an IFR flight plan in VMC yesterday (12-24-06) with a 1730Z takoff time. Did I show up? RV-6A N710BJ. As Paul says on these short flights we are not in the system for long.

Bob Axsom

Hey Bob,

I had a Port-A-Port hangar at SUS until just recently, northwest corner of the airport, perhaps I've seen your -6A on the Thunder ramp in the past.....this isn't your first trip, is it?

dd

Bob, yep you showed up.

Bob Axsom said:

Bob Axsom

Bob,

Here you are: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N710BJ

I checked to see how many airplanes were up (IFR) late last night.
Not many. But I did find this Mooney! Check it out..7 hour 20 minute flight.
I watched him thread the needle on some storms in Alabama. He was at 9,000 which was the best altitude for his headwinds.

The view you see shows current weather radar. Not like it was for him last night.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N205BF

Mark

dlloyd3 said:

Dave

If I have somewhere to go and its 1000-3 along the route and I can get on top VMC and the desination is VMC, I'm gone, direct-direct.

Perhaps more guys travel this way and don't show up in the system. Can't believe everyone was sitting on the ground. I flew twice yesterday, but local and short.

dd

PS At the moment I am in charge of the turkey. It's got 1:48 to go. :)

I flew yesterday and set a personal altitude record of.................11,000ft MSL. Could have gone higher but that was my goal.
I am planning a trip to Crystal River, FLA on Friday to do some airboating with my sis.
It is too windy to go flying today in middle GA.

David-aviator said:
Hey Bob,

I had a Port-A-Port hangar at SUS until just recently, northwest corner of the airport, perhaps I've seen your -6A on the Thunder ramp in the past.....this isn't your first trip, is it?

dd

No I transfered out to Huntington Beach for MDC in 1978 but I always keep coming back. I have been staying on JetCorp's ramp for the last few years but next time I'm going to shop around. Since I bought fuel the line desk girl waived all but one day of charges but $30 is more than I'm used to paying for a tiedown. I saw an RV-4 or RV-8 under a canopy cover on the ramp at Executive Beechcraft as we taxied down to JetCorp.

The plane is basically dark blue with a red streak eagle outlined in white on the side of the fuselage, starburst red wings outlined in white on the wings, and starburst red tail feathers outlined in white on the horizontal stabilizer and elevator. It's original so if you saw and RV-6A painted like that it was ours.

Bob Axsom

Bob Axsom said:
No I transfered out to Huntington Beach for MDC in 1978 but I always keep coming back. I have been staying on JetCorp's ramp for the last few years but next time I'm going to shop around. Since I bought fuel the line desk girl waived all but one day of charges but $30 is more than I'm used to paying for a tiedown. I saw an RV-4 or RV-8 under a canopy cover on the ramp at Executive Beechcraft as we taxied down to JetCorp.

The plane is basically dark blue with a red streak eagle outlined in white on the side of the fuselage, starburst red wings outlined in white on the wings, and starburst red tail feathers outlined in white on the horizontal stabilizer and elevator. It's original so if you saw and RV-6A painted like that it was ours.

Bob Axsom

The visiting 6A I've seen on the west ramp was not your airplane. I don't know who owns the RV under a shade port, but there is a RV-4 in a hangar next to where I was for 10 years.

You work on the DC-9 project at MDC?

At one point, after the TWA-Ozark merger, the airline had every model of the DC-9 built except the -20 (which, for those interested, was a 10 with slats). We had used equipment from DAL, USAir, SAS, OZ, plus the original 80's at TWA. Seems to me there were a couple from Australia also. What a hodge podge of machines as every airline had them built to local spec. At least they all went up when the stick was pulled aft and the coffee tasted pretty much the same.

The feds got a bit nervous when the glass 83's arrived. They split the fleet into glass and non glass as it was determined going from an old -10 Sperry AI to the latest 83 AHARS stuff on the same trip was more than the average pilot could handle, plus the FHB was getting so big with all the differences, you needed a fork lift to load it on the airplane. However, most of us thought they were a bunch of wimps for doing it. It was fun and interesting going from Peoria on one trip to San Juan on the next.

But as always, the FAA rules (ruled). Don't know what MDC thought about it, but I do know the type rating was the same for all of them. Sort of like having and flying every version of RV ever built. :)

dd

I worked DC-9, DC-10 and KC-10

I worked at the Long Beach Plant for about a year before I quit to go to work for Ford Aerospace in Newport Beach - now there was a deal. New car every year for around $100/month covering everything but gas.

Bob Axsom

Bob Axsom said:

Bob Axsom
yes.

Go to http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N710BJ and see ...

James

N710BJ (details) (alert me)
AXSOM ROBERT WAYNE (FARMINGTON AR)
Aircraft VAN'S RV-6 (single-piston) (RV6/U) Origin Drake Field (KFYV) Destination Spirit Of St Louis (KSUS) Other flights between these airports Route RZC V63 SGF V14 STEER FTZ Date Sunday, Dec 24, 2006 Duration 1 hour 30 minutes Status Arrived 2 days ago (track log) Proposed/Assigned Actual/Estimated Departure 11:30AM CST 11:26AM CST Arrival 01:24PM CST 12:56PM CST Speed 150 kts
Altitude 9000 feet

My only regret

The speed they list is the one I always give for my RV-6A flight plan. The way the information is displayed it appears that that is the actual speed calculated based on time and distance. I ran the numbers and the actual speed was 166kts. The nominal cruise speed was somewhat higher. Man the more I write the worse it looks. ARGH!

Bob Axsom

Spooky....and slightly disturbing!!

It's pretty weird when you can go in with your N-number and find all the details of a flight that you did (along with your name) over two months ago.....I guess there are no secrets anymore! :eek: