Michael Henning

Well Known Member
My cable from Vans has a 2" stroke, which isn't enough to get me to low rpm stop on governor. The DJM throttle quadrant isn't running out of travel, the cable is.

Any thoughts?

I do have full rpm. I was just thinking that I want to check with the prop control full forward that I am indeed at the extreme travel of the cable (ie- that I am hitting the end of the cable and not the end of the quadrant first.).

Hello Michael,

I also have the same problem which my Jihostroj governor. I have the full RPM position and I can't pull the DJM prop control enough to have the "max pitch" position (1/10inch missing). I believe this won't be a problem as we never fly with the prop control full aft (maybe I'm wrong but on the other airplanes I flown, it was like that).
If I recall correct, in my case I could have drill an other hole in the lever to reach both extreme position on the governor but the two holes would have been too close and so I didn't do it.

Have a good day

Last edited:
I had the same problem on my rocket since the governor I have is a Jijostroj. I talked to the people who make the PCU-5000 governor (made by Jijostroj) and they told me not to worry about it as the last portion of the governor arm travel did not actually reduce RPM's measurably past half travel.

symptom vs problem

This is what I saw you write.

The symptom is the governor arm doesn't move full range.

The problem is the cable travel is too short (2").

The solution could be a new cable (same length) with a longer travel.
(Been there, done that.)

Jim Ayers
Just my thoughts

Adding to Smokey's post, it is in the Vans Governor instructions that you will not reach both stops.

Clearly important that you easily reach the Max RPM position i.e. ensure the Prop Lever is not hitting the Quadrant etc. with a reasonable margin.

I doubt you will ever use the second half of the range of travel, unless you really are into cruise / low RPM descents ;)