There are many variables to insurance premiums

The best thing to do would be to call an agency with your particulars. Maybe one of the site's sponsors.

My buddy Ken would probably chime in here but he's busy trying to get past 100hrs Total Time and Time in Type (he trained in his RV7-A) before premiums are due. If he can show >100hrs, premiums drop from around $4.5K to ~$1.4K. They drop again with an instrument rating.

Hopefully, underwriters will continue to charge based on experience and qualifications rather than making blanket assumptions about which end the wheel is on.

BTW. It probably wouldn't hurt to call your homeowner's insurance agent to see if they have problems with you building an 'airplane' in the garage. According to State Farm, since its an airplane, its not covered (loss OR liability). So I can run over somone while parking in the garage next to the plane or set the kitchen on fire and I'm covered but if the neighbor kid cuts his finger on the 'airplane', I'm toast.

You might want to consider a special builder's policy from an aviation underwriter or rider on the homeowner's policy if its available.

Have fun!
John

Last edited:
Robert M said:
Hi again!

Does Insurance cost more/less for a tail dragger vs. a nose dragger?

Usually the taildragger. It's harder to see whats in front of you in those things. I remember a Pitt's that I once took an aerobatic course in. It hit one of those small airplane towing vehicles that was left on the ramp between hangars. Had to be disasembled & shipped back to Afton, Wyoming for repairs. Would never have happened with a nose wheel! :D

L.Adamson RV6A

--- but then a nosewheel Pitts would look a bit goofy, wouldn't it... :)

As stated above, there are many many variables. However, in my case with no RV time but close to 400 hours TW time, the tailwheel premium was around $450 more.

nose/tail insurance

If all things are equal the difference between nose and tail is usually between 15-25% more for a tail unit.