sirlegin

Well Known Member
I have finally got to the wheel pant for the nose (9A) and in my plans it appears that to install/remove the pant you have to take out the wheel axle. Hence the 2 large holes in the pant sides. Is this still a viable installation or would it be better to install nut plates on the pant brackets and screw the pant on/off.
It seems like a big performance to check air pressure etc.
Any thoughts?

I just drilled a hole in the side of my 6A nose wheel pant to insert an extension to check/adjust the air pressure.

I should try today to see if it works as planned. My ideas are great in theory but sometimes reality renders them ineffective :)

As NOELF states below, I have the new wheel pant attach system and the hole is right between two of the attach points (metal). I wanted a larger hole but will have to cut into the bracket "legs" to do so. Will see if the smallish hole works first.

Last edited:
check Van's SB letters...

...for the "new" nose wheel fork/ gear leg that applies to all -A models.

When (if) you comply with this SB, then you have the option to use a newer design of the nose wheel pant attach brackets. The newer design allows you to just loosen the nose wheel axle bolt and you can then slip off the pant.

Drawings and documentation are on Van's website.

If you decide to keep the existing pant with the original attach brackets, then yes, you must remove the axle to remove the pants to get to the wheel tire valve.

You can also drill a hole in the nose wheel pant aligned with the valve stem to facilitate inflating the tire. BUT...if you do drill a hole in the nose wheel pant (aligned with the valve stem, missing the pant attach bracket, then if you ever do decide to retrofit the newer style attach bracket, there is a good chance that your original hole placement will get covered up by the new style bracket).

You might also want to check if the new bracket on the 7A can also be used on the 9A.

The bracket I have installed on my 7A doesn't require touching the axle bolt to remove wheel pant. The rear of the wheel pant is held on by 4 screws on each side.

Thanks for your input Guys,
I looked at the Vans website SB 7-11-09 and I have my official answer. That makes a whole lot more sense. :)

You might also want to check if the new bracket on the 7A can also be used on the 9A.

Yep, they fit fine on the 9, that's what I did, ordered the two brackets from Van rather than use the ones originally shipped with the kit. Unfortunately I had already drilled the axel holes in the pant but that was easily plugged and glassed over.

1 Wheel pant bracket Left U-713C-L $14.65
1 Wheel pant bracket Right U-713C-R $14.65