Status
Not open for further replies.

Leland

Well Known Member
There have been two more nosewheel accidents/incidents in recent weeks, one at Manchester MI and one at Beverly MA. Does anybody have any more information on these cases?
Leland

Regis#: 596RV Make/Model: EXP Description: EXP- RV9A
Date: 08/21/2008 Time: 1358
Event Type: Incident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Minor
City: BEVERLY State: MA Country: US
DESCRIPTION
AIRCRAFT DAMAGED NOSE GEAR ON LANDING AT BEVERLY, MA
INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 1 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
WEATHER: VRB04KT 10SM CLR 22/12 A3026

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 5025G Make/Model: EXP Description: RV-7A
Date: 08/01/2008 Time: 1630
Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: None Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Substantial
City: MANCHESTER State: MI Country: US
DESCRIPTION
AIRCRAFT ON LANDING, NOSE GEAR COLLAPSED, MANCHESTER, MI
INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 0
# Crew: 2 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
WEATHER: VFR

Nose Gear for Low Time Pilot

The following are a couple of quotations the information about the 9A from Van's website:

"It?s so easy to fly that low time pilots can make a quick and painless transition."

"Everyone who has flown the airplane has remarked on the low landing speed and the low speed controllability. This is an airplane that you look forward to landing---it?s so much fun, you want to do it over and over."

Now my thoughts:

Low time pilots are used to landing gear that can take all kinds of abuse. That's what they see in trainers. From what I read, the gear of the 9A is not much different from the 7A or 8A, which are NOT targeted at low time pilots.

The different wings and flaps of the 9A are what make it accessible to low-time pilots while it's in the air. Wouldn't it be nice if their were an option for a more robust landing gear package that would also make easier to manage while it's on the ground, or for the tricky part where's partly on the ground and partly in the air. If this landing gear were available, I'd buy it, even it were a little bit heavier, and a bit more expensive. It seems like it would an option for the 9A that others besides myself might consider.

\
Low time pilots are used to landing gear that can take all kinds of abuse. That's what they see in trainers. From what I read, the gear of the 9A is not much different from the 7A or 8A, which are NOT targeted at low time pilots.

The different wings and flaps of the 9A are what make it accessible to low-time pilots while it's in the air. Wouldn't it be nice if their were an option for a more robust landing gear package that would also make easier to manage while it's on the ground, or for the tricky part where's partly on the ground and partly in the air. If this landing gear were available, I'd buy it, even it were a little bit heavier, and a bit more expensive. It seems like it would an option for the 9A that others besides myself might consider.

You've been in Bill L.'s 9A. Just keep the airspeed up enough, so it doesn't plop onto the runway.............and everything will be fine. You really don't want the extra weight of a modified gear. When you start doing weight and balance, all the extra weight suddenly becomes critical in your mind...

L.Adamson

Last edited:
Leland,

Thanks for posting those two accidents.

As you are fairly new to the forum, you may not be aware that this topic is one of those never ending debates and that there are a number of threads dealing with the issue.

As important as the issue is, (Note, I did not say problem) it has gotten to the point where many people are tired of hearing about it.

Do a quick search on "nose wheel" and you will find a bunch of threads on the subject with more comments (factual and otherwise).

Status
Not open for further replies.