robertb328

Friend
First, I think that the plans and instructions are very good. However, I have reached one of those points where things don't seem to make sense. I am referring to page 8-40 and drawing 61A. I would rather stop and ask before I start drilling. I have a prepunched 8A fuselage kit and the plans and drawings seem to be missing something. I fabricated the F-896 and F-897 reinforcement angles. However, the plans direct you to drill into the F-897 through the existing holes in the bottom floor panel. Not only are there no holes, but I have a rivet in the way that will have to removed for it to lay flat.

Has anyone else experienced this? What am I missing?

Robert,
I'm at home and all my drawings are at the shop. My memory no longer retains the info about the part numbers you mention. Since no one else has jumped in, if you could email me some photos of the issue, I'm sure I could help. You can get my email address by left clicking on my user name. I didn't see an email account listed in your info.
Charlie Kuss

Robert,
Thanks for sending the photos. Your problem is that you jumped the gun on setting all those rivets along the forward edge. The front row of rivets can not be installed until the cooling ramp is put on. Vans does not show it, but you must fabricate a shim (either .063" or .125") that runs along that front line of rivets. It goes in between the left and right side re-enforcing angles you have just made. Those rivets you just installed also have to hold the previously mentioned shim and the exhaust ramp's forward edge on.
FYI, Vans design for retaining/stiffening that exhaust ramp are less than ideal. Many 8A builders report that the ramp develops stress cracks after about 300 hours, due to the exhaust pulsing on the very thin (.020" thick) ramp skin. I re-designed the support structure for the ramp. My design stiffens the ramp and also (if desired) allows you to make the ramp removable. This is a good idea, as the exhaust gases are very corrosive. A removable ramp allows you to check/repair corrosion or cracking.
I can supply photos of my mod off list to anyone interested.
There are no prepunched holes in the inner floor ribs or the floor skin for mounting your two reinforcing brackets. You must lay out and drill those six rivet holes in the brackets and then transfer them to the ribs and floor skin.
Charlie Kuss

Last edited:
Reinforcement Angles

Charlie,

Thanks for the pictures and advice. The pictures I sent you may not have shown it, but I did not rivet the holes where the cooling ramp will be riveted. I did think I would have to drill out the rivet where the angles are to be attached. I sure hope I do not have to drill all the rivets out along the bottom edge. Unfortunately, I have gotten good at drilling out rivets, but I detest doing it.

I thought I was going to have to transfer the holes and drill through the floor panel, but did not want to do so until I checked with someone. Thanks again.