49clipper

Well Known Member
I just ordered a new nose gear leg (the larger diameter one) and it came match drilled for the top bolt but has no hole for a cotter pin at the fork. Is that a new change or did they just forget to drill the hole? Anyone know. I will have to call Vans on Teusday, but I am trying to get this thing done for the customer.

You drill the holes after you tighten the nut to specs. This is the way the nosegear leg for my RV-7A was supplied when I had it refit for the new fork.

get a good drill bit

....and take it from my experience, get a few good drill bits and lubricating oil. I went throught about 5 bits and two hours of work to get that cotterpin hole drilled. But, I guess thats a good endorsement as to the strength of that gear leg.

drilling cotter pin hole

I got my leg back from Harmon when I did the mod. Everyone cautioned about drilling the cotter hole, but I used a fairly new bit, a little cutting oil, and set it up on the drill press. Used a fair bit of pressure, and it cut thru in maybe 30 seconds, then went right thru the other side.
I drilled another hole about 90 degrees to that so I'd have another choice when tightening up the nut. Didn't seem to be a big deal, thankfully.
Deburr the threads after drilling to ensure the nut spins on freely.

That hole has never been drilled by the factory. It is supposed to be drilled once you set the breakout force for your nose fork.

If you use a good sharp drill bit and spin it slowly (300-400 RPM) with plenty of oil, it should drill through just fine. It will take some effort, but it should not be a terrible ordeal.