ShannonEvans

Guy's
Thanks for the imput after the Lanceair vs RV post. After much consideration of my flying needs I have let a few local people know that My Super Mouse is for sale. I may already have a buyer will know later. Anyway it seems for what I am doing the RV is the way to go:D. I have found a nice vfr 8A that is not far from home :cool:. However to have a hope of making a deal work the Mouse must go first.

Now to the question. I have not flown in an 8/8a. only the 6a & 9. Do they fly similar? Are there any special things to look for, (I would have a knowledgeable RV mechanic check plane before purchase). Also, not to open a can of worms:rolleyes:, What about the nose gear. Most RV's out here are nose draggers & I know of no issues on paved or grass strips. I heard & read many opinions on how hard the Beech Musketeer was to land & learned it was only here say from people that had never flown one. Just don't let nose land first:eek:. I have 6 hours tailwheel time, but really like training wheals. Also, insurance is a little better.

Thanks
Shannon Evans
N5650S (untill I can afford an RV)

Shannon, The 8 flys just like the 6 or 7. Only thing that I don't like on the two 8s I fly occasionally is the stick length is too short. The 8 does have the most comfortable cockpit of the two seat RVs. Lots of room both front and back. Probably only take you an hour or two to transition into it. In the aviation world you will find the stories about some types of airplanes are usually untrue. I have flown a lot of the airplanes you hear horror stories about and have found most not really all that difficult to fly. Don

Van says.....

Just don't let nose land first:eek:. I have 6 hours tailwheel time, but really like training wheals. Also, insurance is a little better.

Thanks
Shannon Evans
N5650S (untill I can afford an RV)

....that the nosegear is a "Taxiing" wheel. The other two are the "Landing" gear.:)

Regards,

The 8 does have the most comfortable cockpit of the two seat RVs. Lots of room both front and back.

IMHO, I would rather be in the passenger seat of a -7 than the passenger seat of an -8 any day. Although it is nice to not have to rub shoulders with the pilot, the back seat of the -8 is uncomfortable for several reasons:

1) Almost every -8 has a leak around the rear canopy.
2) There is no heat back there.
3) Your feet are pretty much pinned into position. You can't, for example, cross your ankles because your feet are on either side of the pilot.
4) You can't see the -8 instrument panel...you're only along for the ride and you can't "participate" much in the flight. This probably isn't a big deal for non-pilots.

The front seat of the -8 is really good, but IMHO being a passenger in the -8 isn't as much fun as the -7.

....that the nosegear is a "Taxiing" wheel. The other two are the "Landing" gear.:)

Regards,

I tell folks the nose wheel is just a kickstand to keep the prop off the ground. Land on the mains and don't use the nose gear until you have to keep the prop off the ground. Taxi on grass SLOW! No worries.

Regards,

Huh, and I was under impression there was NO "LANDING" gear on an -A model, just two taxi wheels and a skid up front to flip you over...