zkvii

Well Known Member
Hi,

For those of us that can't return a nose gear leg to the factory to be modified from old to new (shipping costs are more than it is worth), has anybody got specific details on the changes needed?

I understand that the thread needs to be cut further up the nose leg and a 'bit' chopped off the bottom.

The Axel nut is an MS21025-20 - this suggests a 1.25" diameter with a 16 TPI thread. 16 TPI is a 'strange' pitch, UNF is 12 TPI, UNC is 7. If I need to get a die - what 'type' am I looking for?

Anybody done this themselves?

Thanks for any pointers,

Carl

Hi Dave,

Great help thank you. Can you provide any details of the "adjustable threader and borrowed a long armed threader tool".

Do you know if the thread form / profile is UNC or UNF or something else?
Update: It is National Extra Fine - 1.25" - 16 TPI. 60degree angle form.

Carl

Last edited:
Carl,

The adjustable threader looks like a standard rethreader but it has a "break" in its circumference. At the break it has an allen nut through the slot which allows you to make very small adjustments to tighten the circumference and therefore deepen the cut.

The long armed tool is simply an oversized threader tool. It is the device you mount the threader into----the "long armed" simply means that it is designed to allow you more leverage in cutting the threads--given the carbon steel you will be cutting you will need as much leverage as you can get---my elbows still ache!!. The one I used was about two and 1/2 foot in length.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

db

Carl,

Try the following web site:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Look on page 2357 for a "split threader" and "threading die stock".

I borrowed my stock and bought a die from a local discount tool shop here in San Antonio, Tx. The Chinese die was only good for one gear leg as the carbon steel leg really dulled the die.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

db

Carl,

Sent you a reply to your pm--it was bounced due to your private message inbox at the max.

Cheers,

db