rv9aviator

Well Known Member
I have the lower part of the nose gear leg fairing installed and that was no problem. I don't see any way the fairing is supported at the upper end close to the motor mount.It seems the only support it will have is after the fairing is made that attaches to the lower cowl. It would just float in the upper intersection fairing. I searched for an answer but didn't find anything. I think my search efforts could use some help though. I would like to fly the plane with the wheel pant and fairing on before I make the upper intersection fairing but it looks like it would self destruct with no upper support. I sure could use some advice or point me to a previous discussion on this. Thanks!

Intersection Fairing

Hi Jim,
If you have an intersection fairing, it will support the gear leg Fairing.

Here is my 'fairings-etc' intersection fairing i recently added when i put on the new gear fairing that came from AntiSplatAero!

IMG_20120418_192808.jpg

Before i had the intersection fairing, the gear fairing was held on by pipe clamps at top and bottom. I don't recommend this as there was multiple repairs to my fairing where the clamp was tightened too much and cracked fiberglass. Now my fairing is supported at top by the intersection fairing and by electrical tape at the bottom. (allows some flex)

Dan

You're correct in how the fairing is supported. I bonded a small block of foam inside the fairing near the top as a spacer to keep it from contacting the forward surface of the gear leg. Then I fit the upper int fairing to the bottom cowl.

I fabricated a longer hinge pin for the nose wheel fairing. The bottom end of the pin attaches just as Van's plans show with the worm clamp.

The upper end extends beyond the nose gear leg fairing fiberglass and protrudes through a drilled hole in the U-620B web brace face. I added a plate nut to the forward side of this brace to keep the SS hinge pin from wallowing out the hole in the aluminum plate material.