ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
I cannot for the life of me find the call out for the spacing of the screws that hold the nose gear leg fairing halves together. These dimensions are clearly called out on the main gear fairing drawing (C2) but a similar view on the nose wheel fairing drawing (C1) has no dimensions. It would seem that I could use just any spacing but they actually use the middle screw hole as a reference for another dimension on the drawing so I better put those screws in their proper places. What gives?

C1

Drawing C1 for RV7A clearly shows three evenly spaced screws on each side of nose gear leg fairing (6 screws total). Should be similar for 9A. I will take a close look tomorrow and post.

When you locate the bottom fasteners on the nose gear and the main gear, for that matter, make sure you can get a screwdriver on them when the tire is flat.

This allows you to remove the wheel pants without jacking the airplane.

V

When you locate the bottom fasteners on the nose gear and the main gear, for that matter, make sure you can get a screwdriver on them when the tire is flat.

V

Good point. I didn't think of that.

Picture1-5.png

Thanks Vlad but i must be blind. See the three screws that are in phantom in the view you posted? How far apart are they spaced? Where do I locate them? I'm just not seeing it.

on 1/2 scale 1 7/8

There is no spacing indicated indeed. The drawing says it's 1/2 scale I think the distance could be 3 3/4 ?

spacing.jpg

Yep, I resorted to throwing a ruler on it too. That can't be what Van's had in mind but oh well, it will work. Time to build on!

My approach for this is I have a tiny ratcheting wrench that holds standard 1/4 inch screw driver tips. I also use this thing on my main fairings and have found it to be quite handy for other areas where you can't use a stubby screwdriver.