SmittysRV

Well Known Member
Does the nose gear bolt hole need to reamed with the motor mount like the mains did with the center gear mounts? I noticed that the bolt size is AN520A, rather than the AN522A on the mains. I reamed the mains, but now I need to know about the nose gear. The AN520A will not go into the hole as it is now.

Yes this definately needs to be a good fit, using a reamer is the way to go :D

Thanks Walt. I can't seem to find the size of the reamer in the instructions. Do you know what it is?

Last edited:
If you use a 0.311 reamer (maybe even 0.3115) you should have a very nice fit. That is what size is used when the gear legs are originally made.

If you use a 0.3125 (5/16) it will likely function OK, but not be as good as it could be.

Thanks Richard,

I just realized that the AN522A and AN520A bolts are the same width, one's just longer than the other. So the reamer (0.311) I used on the mains could be used on the front gear as well. I must be having brain withdrawal from OSH.

Another source for reamers

Smitty,
You can also peruse a good selection of reamers from Rutland Tool & Supply Co. online. Here's the .311 reamer I ordered from them recently for my upcoming wing mating:

https://www.shoprutlandtool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=21779

Just don't make the mistake I did at first. I saw a very good price on a carbide reamer and ordered it. When a tiny package arrived, I found .0311 reamer inside. VERY small! Watch those decimal places! Fortunately, they accepted my return and shipped out the proper .311 size right away.