Bill Palmer

Well Known Member
For those interested in purchasing the AN386-4-13 taper pin to mod their nose gear attachment per Jim Ellis' instructions (http://www.matronics.com/wiki/index.php/Nose_Gear_Strut):

I just finished working with Aircraft Spruce (West) to set-up a part number for ordering an individual AN386-4-13 taper pin. The new ACS part number is 04-01939. The price is $10.50. ACS has placed an initial stocking order with their supplier. If enough orders are received, ACS will continue to stock this particular taper pin and retain the individual part number 04-01939.

Bottom Line: No more special orders or minimum quantity.

Please place your AN386-4-13 order with Aircraft Spruce.

Best Regards,

Bill Palmer
Chino Hills, CA

P.S. ACS already stocks for individual order the other hardware listed by Jim Ellis as follows:
AN975-5 Taper Pin Washer, AN310-5 Castle Nut, and AN380-2-3 Cotter Pin. Personally, I substituted the slightly more expensive MS17825-5 Self-Locking Castle Nut for the AN310-5.

Might be best to do this on all socket landing gear..... That would be all of Vans kits. Less the 8 and 12... :rolleyes:

And then check the torque of the nut at each inspection.

Last edited:
Taper Reamer

Joe,

The #3 Brown & Sharpe taper reamer is available from Aircraft Spruce: Part Number 12-09900, $44.95 plus shipping.

Best Regards,

Bill Palmer

Taper pin

Bill
Just ordered my parts from ACS. Taper pin back ordered, but thanks for doing the leg work.

Oldgeezer
RV9A

Backorders Are Good!

Actually, backorders are good, since many backorders will convince Aircraft Spruce to stock the AN386-4-13 taper pins permanently and in bigger quantities. I'm also back-ordered! I'll let you know when the first batch of pins arrive from ACS's supplier.

Keep those taper pin orders coming!

Take Care!

Bill ;)

Taper Pins In Stock

I just received a call from Aircraft Spruce - - They have received their initial AN386-4-13 taper pin order from their supplier. At this point, ACS is ordering and stocking relatively small quantities, so the backorders will probably continue for awhile until Aircraft Spruce is comfortable with the demand and orders taper pins in larger quantities. Keep those taper pin orders coming!

Best Regards,

Bill Palmer ;)

Hi Mark,

I might be wrong (I usually am), but the taper pins shown on the McMaster-Carr catalog page you listed don't seem to have the correct dimensions for a Brown & Sharpe taper reamer. The Brown & Sharpe taper should be 1/2 inch per foot.

A #3 B&S taper reamer would have a small end that measures about .313" and a large end of around .375" if the flutes are 1.5 inches long.

I searched the McMaster site for a Brown & Sharpe taper reamer, but couldn't find any listed.

It would be worth a phone call to check for sure before you order.

I believe you are right this time!

Jim Ellis said:
Hi Mark,

I might be wrong (I usually am), but the taper pins shown on the McMaster-Carr catalog page you listed don't seem to have the correct dimensions for a Brown & Sharpe taper reamer. The Brown & Sharpe taper should be 1/2 inch per foot.

A #3 B&S taper reamer would have a small end that measures about .313" and a large end of around .375" if the flutes are 1.5 inches long.

I searched the McMaster site for a Brown & Sharpe taper reamer, but couldn't find any listed.

It would be worth a phone call to check for sure before you order.

Jim,
I was thinking the Brown & Sharpe was "just" a brand name. (which it is)
But they must have their own taper!

The ones in Mcmaster Carr are 1/4" per foot!

Good catch, I'll delete my post above before someone orders one!
I have not ordered it.

Thanks!
Mark

Last edited: