Chunky

Hi There

I have noticed that there is a slight bend on my nose gear from a recent trip where I hit debris on the runway. I managed to complete the trip without any problems, just checking the gear condition at every stop.

What I have noticed is the gear is bent back about an inch causing a change in the castoring characteristics as well the wheel now seeming to slope off in one direction when looking at it from the front.

Can the gear be rolled out straight again if done without any heat. Would it be strong enoungh or is it best to just fit a new nose gear.

Shawn

Most likely a new one is in order

One of the local 7A's just went through this. His nose gear was bent ( a short story that I won't tell) but you could not tell by looking at it. When the gear was compared with a new one the bend could be seen. Where the gear makes the bend at the bottom it had bent another 3/4".

The gear was sent to LangAir for straightening and Harmon said it was to far gone. The owner called Van's and had a new leg the next day and installed it with no problems.

The gear was sent to LangAir for straightening and Harmon said it was to far gone. The owner called Van's and had a new leg the next day and installed it with no problems.

Note: If getting a new gear leg for a 6A, the original will most likely, need to be sent to LangAir...... so they can jig it for precise drilling of the engine mount bolt hole. That's what I did around the year 2000 when they updated to the stronger gear legs. 6A mounting holes are not as uniform as newer models. At least my 1996 kit was pre-dilled. Earlier versions were not.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

need more info

Without generating a big controverisal thread, as an -A model builder I would love to know what type of incidents can bend a nose gear leg without causing more significant damage (aka flipoevers).

Lots of things

Without generating a big controverisal thread, as an -A model builder I would love to know what type of incidents can bend a nose gear leg without causing more significant damage (aka flipoevers).

Curbs, divots, holes, pad eyes, etc. are some of the obstacles we find at airports that can cause damage. Using the nose wheel as a landing gear can bend them too! I think the amount of energy your carry, along with how hard the gear digs in determines if you flip or not.

Last edited: