Jgibson

Guys

Purchasing an RV6A (thanks Hank) and need to know how to identify the upgraded front fork and/or gear? Fork has '84-120' markings, and 'looks' like it is angled downward toward axle. Were the original forks more horizontal? I THINK I remember reading where the upgrade was to shorten the gear leg and install a new fork with more angle to raise the main nut further from the ground. Am I correct, and does anyone know how to identify it by 'eyeballing' it? Owner had replaced gear but isn't sure if it's the upgraded one or not. Thanks in advance.

The bottom of the original fork was horizontal. The new fork is angled, as you said, to get the nut further from the ground. The gear leg should not protrude much past the nut also. The mod has you shorten the gear leg to this end.

Just Re-Checked Service Bulletin

Jesse,

Thanks for the info. I just re-checked (and found) the Van's S.B. and will confirm with measurements whether the correct parts are on there. It is angled, so that's a good start. Also planning on installing anti-splat brace for good measure as some of the 'unimproved' strips I fly into in N.J. are VERY unimproved and clumpy.

Thanks again.

Joe Gibson

old & new fork

this was posted on this site several yeas ago. originator unknown. maybe will help you.

Pictures Tell It All

Lawrence/Jesse;

Thanks for the pictures as they confirm my fears: I have the old fork with an early upgraded (heavier) strut. Looks like I'll need a new fork AND the 'newer' strut shortened and re-threaded.

Thanks again Jesse and Lawrence.

The new fork you are on your own for. If you want to stop by my shop on your way home with the plane (email me for the address if you want the fork shipped here), I can help you thread and shorten the gear and install the new fork. We have the right die to lengthen the threads.