Firstlight

Hi Folks,

I've been experimenting with how to mount cameras for self-critiquing aerobatics. I've found that this is a bit harder than it sounds (both the mounting and the self-critiquing).

The biggest enemy has proven to be vibration, followed by installations that are not up to the G and/or airspeeds required.

I've found ways to make good images at one speed/power setting, but then find that the image is a jello-shaking blurry mess at another combination of speed and/or RPM.

(I ought to mention that my particular O-320 powered '4 has a 2 blade wood prop, and shakes more than I wish it did)

The best took I have found so far is the Vibe-X mount available by searching that brand name. It uses a small puck filled with a high density gel. I find that in certain orientations the images are almost useless, but in others they are quite usable. I'd like to get the camera higher to see rudder and elevator inputs, but when I do that the images get pretty messy.

Here is a look at what I've got going on so far. This is a world better than what I was able to do without the gel puck from Vibe-X.

https://youtu.be/xVWjKPoQM7Y

WBK
Ithaca, NY

GoPro Suction Cup

I use a genuine GoPro suction cup and have mounted it all over the airplane with no issues. The closest I've mounted it to the engine is on the top of the avionics compartment cover just aft of the cowl. Vibration levels are very low and the video quality is good. Just make sure you have a smooth, clean surface for the suction cup and I think you'll be quite happy.

Get a pair of ReplyXD's and hang them under your wing.

2WDkBKMLJJYBmQFEtmVueZTapKY9eLUGY4b5mPjn3iDTXgzjpbPEI9MQRuFq9FSumJdfXXn3XDSSiHlZuuIFeAcXE9Xiy-8HulqLRSucNgtVOXXGt2NRqrUNVVMMMb4auEOaafxJUSLIZJJVrHMNp3prrXDQvi7M26JE_sQ4GqEXF7JLyX8qOAoLZfGlF0LbrCZemLZu5oF2uM2RPSJZA_ZlaC9jYkLwNd2v74sO5vxWQFIjoCqz64yJy1uQa3tZSeRI5zPR9bFdiefMBw4HSHYl-rA7fMtn_rBS9jwvZwY3gfCUr3uCIHku3yElyZioLwGNhByNxauFW9osow_hciFlHDkCG2J5uNYfNwlN3pV4Ytnbx3uuqD6ywFZN5khYjDoiWtNGxDLDQxXsPNjnyar5X0kY5LTNKd9bR_k4_phNgZeyQxg0OYCIxj9_1E56p_0h9wsHxqswGSqq-4ymbtF90Lpi2YhO9vZYTfPdpCBVOycO64aX9nUt1YaDXfUhFuJn4pcL_fOn_O-GglsGjGYxR5LNhWGvD4zat45nSA7LPqtq6dkWRRnJcRecLsnqqmTCl8V7NdnwbMwwlkCDD2ckMcS4zoc=w720-h504-no

Do you have sample footage for comparison?

Hi Guys,

Do you have any footage online where I could go and see how it looks?

I wish I could get some of the vibes out of my engine/prop. I think it would give me more flexibility with mounting.

Thanks,

WBK

That is indeed a very cool perspective. My guess is that they are using a gyro-gimbal mount like popularly used on many RC multicopter drones. DJI has a handheld version of this technology that would be the easiest to use in this application. Look up the "Osmo".