gassman

Patron
Started on the cowl. Instructions say to make nose bowl as big or slightly bigger than the spinner. I have the ww 330 and at the same size as the spinner, the cowl halves do not nest completely together at the air inlets. There is close to a half inch extra. Is it better to nest them completely or keep it same size as spinner for smooth transition?

I’m working on that very issue also. My research shows so far, that you want to make the nose of the cowling just slightly larger as per instructions and fill in the gap later on with fiberglass. I have been sanding down the front outside cowl inlets as much as possible to gain as much as I can but don’t want to make the nose ring oblong either.

Attachments

• IMG_5950.jpeg
    IMG_5950.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 443
I’m working on that very issue also. My research shows so far, that you want to make the nose of the cowling just slightly larger as per instructions and fill in the gap later on with fiberglass. I have been sanding down the front outside cowl inlets as much as possible to gain as much as I can but don’t want to make the nose ring oblong either.
With the width of the nosebowl fixed, how to you keep the shape from becoming oblong if you separate the top & bottom halves?

Thx - HFS

Whirlwind, on their website shows 13" & 14" inch spinners for their 330 series propellers. If your prop is eligible for the smaller one would that help?

Seems like the standard nosebowl diameter would be at least 13" - but maybe not. Thank you ...

HFS

Mine is 13" so can't gain anything there. Guess I'm more curious about inlet size. Bigger, slower, more cooling or smaller faster less cooling and the way the spinner fits. Pretty sure I'm overthinking this

Beware ! The engine mount rubber isolators/bushings pairs, when installed correctly, they are reversed on the lower/ bottom engine mount, from what they are on the upper/ top engine mount.

On my finished plane, the builder got the top pairs in correctly and did not reverse the orientation, front to back on the lower/bottom isolator pairs. This caused a gap on the bottom pairs that made the engine ride higher than it should be. The cowl, when fitted matched this incorrect engine height. When the isolators were reinstalled correctly after and engine upgrade the spinner no longer matches the cowl opening.