- Poindexter -

Well Known Member
Friend
North Fox Island (CY3)
June, 2024

Overview
North Fox Island is a remote island in the northern part of Lake Michigan. This is a superb place to visit/camp as it is remote, cell service is scant, big adventure, and there is minimum amenities. If you want to be around people, go to Mackinac Island.

Runway
07 - 25 good grass, 3,001' x 100'. Whoever built this runway, did a fantastic job, as it is center-cambered, which allows pretty good water run-off. However, after heavy rains, there is water pooling on the NE side (runway 25) for a day or two. The RAF maintains this runway (and trails) and has regular work parties to mow the grass, and maintain the camping. I flew in an 7a, with wheel pants, and it was fine.
Approach.jpg
Runway.jpg

You'll want to get a good weather report for the days you are there, including wind direction and intensity. Cell service is scant, if any. Upon approach, you can also get an idea of wind direction by looking at the water which is a good indicator. I had a strong, 22 knot quartering headwind landing 07, received a lot of wind shifts/down drafts, but all that subsided once below the tree line.
And, as the sign says, don't die. No one will hear or notice if you biff that landing or get cut up wandering around the island.

Camping
Basic. Tables, chopped wood (axe and splitter available), outhouse, cooking grate.
Camping Runway.jpg
Barbecue.jpg

Bring your own water or get it out of the lake. And, this ain't Johnson Creek: no wifi, fridge, sink, or warm showers. Just use the lake if you want to be clean. I had the place mostly to myself. Except for the "other" inhabitants: mosquitos and snakes. The mosquitos are minor around the runway and camping areas, but fierce on the trails. Bring repellent. Then, there's the snakes! They are everywhere. In the wood pile, cruising across the runway, on all the paths, and any place you go. However, all are non-venemous and just want to be left alone.
Snake.jpg

Things to do
Explore and enjoy the remoteness. I spent a day just walking all the trails, which was about 5 miles (map below). I would do this on a very windy day, as it will help to reduce the mosquitos when strolling around. It can be quite swampy on the interior.
Trails.jpg
Kayak.jpg

Hiking map and kayak maps.
Check out the old ruins (chequered past), sandy beaches, swim, and sand dunes. The best sandy beach, I found, was on the SW side of the island, below the sand dunes.
San Beach.jpg
Kayak1.jpg

The next day, I paddled around the island. There is a stashed kayak/paddle on the trail below the runway, that leads to the beach. It's about 6 miles to paddle around the island, and took about 3 hours, at a leisure pace. Do this on a calm day.
The water is very crystal clear and nice on a hot day. The northern part of island tends to have algae close to the shore.

I spent (4) days, (3) nights and only left since there was an even bigger storm rolling in (than the 12-hour rain I encountered).
A HUGE thanks to the RAF for maintaining this gem!
And, the other thing the sign said, "look cool" and "don't be an A-hole."

North Fox Island (CY3)
June, 2024

Overview
North Fox Island is a remote island in the northern part of Lake Michigan. This is a superb place to visit/camp as it is remote, cell service is scant, big adventure, and there is minimum amenities. If you want to be around people, go to Mackinac Island.

Runway
07 - 25 good grass, 3,001' x 100'. Whoever built this runway, did a fantastic job, as it is center-cambered, which allows pretty good water run-off. However, after heavy rains, there is water pooling on the NE side (runway 25) for a day or two. The RAF maintains this runway (and trails) and has regular work parties to mow the grass, and maintain the camping. I flew in an 7a, with wheel pants, and it was fine.
View attachment 69139 View attachment 69140
You'll want to get a good weather report for the days you are there, including wind direction and intensity. Cell service is scant, if any. Upon approach, you can also get an idea of wind direction by looking at the water which is a good indicator. I had a strong, 22 knot quartering headwind landing 07, received a lot of wind shifts/down drafts, but all that subsided once below the tree line.
And, as the sign says, don't die. No one will hear or notice if you biff that landing or get cut up wandering around the island.

Camping
Basic. Tables, chopped wood (axe and splitter available), outhouse, cooking grate.
View attachment 69142 View attachment 69143
Bring your own water or get it out of the lake. And, this ain't Johnson Creek: no wifi, fridge, sink, or warm showers. Just use the lake if you want to be clean. I had the place mostly to myself. Except for the "other" inhabitants: mosquitos and snakes. The mosquitos are minor around the runway and camping areas, but fierce on the trails. Bring repellent. Then, there's the snakes! They are everywhere. In the wood pile, cruising across the runway, on all the paths, and any place you go. However, all are non-venemous and just want to be left alone.
View attachment 69144

Things to do
Explore and enjoy the remoteness. I spent a day just walking all the trails, which was about 5 miles (map below). I would do this on a very windy day, as it will help to reduce the mosquitos when strolling around. It can be quite swampy on the interior.
View attachment 69145 View attachment 69146
Hiking map and kayak maps.
Check out the old ruins (chequered past), sandy beaches, swim, and sand dunes. The best sandy beach, I found, was on the SW side of the island, below the sand dunes.
View attachment 69147 View attachment 69148
The next day, I paddled around the island. There is a stashed kayak/paddle on the trail below the runway, that leads to the beach. It's about 6 miles to paddle around the island, and took about 3 hours, at a leisure pace. Do this on a calm day.
The water is very crystal clear and nice on a hot day. The northern part of island tends to have algae close to the shore.

I spent (4) days, (3) nights and only left since there was an even bigger storm rolling in (than the 12-hour rain I encountered).
A HUGE thanks to the RAF for maintaining this gem!
And, the other thing the sign said, "look cool" and "don't be an A-hole."
What a very cool place!! I want to see a picture of the sign...........! 😂 😂