tomhanaway

Well Known Member
Just finishing up the wings and ready to start fuselage. Thinking ahead to battery placement, prop, etc.
I plan on using an Aerosport IO-375.

Does the stock RV-8a have a tendency to have the weight more forward or aft?

Thanks,
Tom H.

Probably nose heavy, My 8A, 0-360, Hartzell CS prop. Battery on firewall, would run out of nose up trim on landing, solo. Moved battery to baggage comp., problem fixed. Prior to moving battery, I would carry 25lbs. in rear baggage comp. when flying solo.

RV-8A CG

Read the Caf? organization report on the RV-8A. This has a thorough discussion of the center of gravity philosophy of the aircraft. The answers you want are in the report, which is extremely well done.

Forward CG

Forward CG is the answer but within limits, however it makes the stick force much heavier when doing loops and such.

As far as trim the key is to set up the trim tab throw with more nose up trim. I have plenty of trim when solo and don't run out of nose down trim when fully loaded. This trick was passed on to me by tech support at Van's

I like to fly with stuff in aft baggage area, it is my tool kit and extra oil. My battery is up front but also have composite prop which saves weight. Too aft a CG is really no issue so far, flew fully loaded with gear for a trip to Oshkosh.

Cheers

If you have a Hartzell CS then the battery goes in the back. If you have a composite prop then forward is an option but the back would still be my choice. I have built both and still carried aft ballast when solo.

Lots of threads on this subject if you want to get more detail.

Ok, plans changed a little bit and will be installing an XL-400 which is about 30 lbs. heavier than a 360.

So, definitely battery in back and composite prop.

Tom H.