First of all, I am just starting out my researching for a purchase of one of these fine RV's. I'm looking and reading hours everyday. I want to make the best most educated purchase I can. I think I want an RV6 or 7 and I've seen alot for sale (good for me).

However, I have noticed that there is very few with a standard "6 pack" set up for the flight instruments.

Is it because it is very difficult to set up this configuration? Or is the owner taking the liberties that a homebuild aircraft affords and putting the flight instruments in the "Easiest" configuration?

I think I would be more at home in an RV that has the "6 pack" configuration for the flight instruments and see myself reconfigureing the panel if I purchase one in a non "6 pack" configuration RVs,

A/S A/H ALT

T/C H/I VSI

This is what I am calling the standard "6 Pack" set-up...:confused::confused:

Last edited:
Is it because it is very difficult to set up this configuration? ...

Every builder is different. But:

It's not difficult to do a standard "6-pack" layout. But these days it is not much more expensive, and in some cases it is actually cheaper, to install any of several glass displays. Those displays take the information you'd get from the standard steam gauges and display it in a manner that is more intuitive, easier to process, and harder to misinterpret.

take your time and you will find 'your' plane. an older one will have what you want.this is 1999 vintage.:);)
img2294a.jpg

not excactly

I was really refering to the individual instruments position relative to each other not steam vs. glass. I like the class panels but I don't think I can afford a full set up.

However, I have noticed that there is very few with a standard "6 pack" set up for the flight instruments....
There may be few RV's sporting a traditional "6 pack" of flight instruments but as you can see, they do exist. When I was at the point in assembly I had to commit to an instrument panel layout around 2001-2002, affordable all glass panels were still promised but not yet available. Even if they were available, at that time few people had real operational experience with glass and given that glass had no track record to speak of, I felt more comfortable opting for traditional steam gauges. To this day, I have never regretted the decision.

2ze9frs.jpg

BTW, that thinking changed by the time I built the -8 and decided an all-glass format with 2 backup steam gauges was the way to go. Example: that electric RC Allen AH fitted to my -6A goes for about $2200 all by itself. You can by a Dynon for less than that.

I was really refering to the individual instruments position relative to each other not steam vs. glass. I like the class panels but I don't think I can afford a full set up.

I've noticed the same. Even some panels that remind me of the old scattergun panels on older airplanes. It's a mystery to me..
Guess I've figured the way I'll have to go is buy a VFR airplane, save up, and just swap out the steam gauges for a dynon set up.

Rick 6A

WOW. That is a beautiful panel. Lucky you,

I currently fly glass at work and have for the past 15 years or so. I like the look of glass and all the information that can be displayed on glass.

Last edited:
It is both amazing and somewhat mystifying to look at panels at a large fly-in and see the "non-standard" approach that you mention. Then again, when you consider that a lot of folks are building as inexpensively as possible (laudable), and are building daytime, VFR airplanes, gyros are often omitted (Heck, Van's demonstrators rarely, if ever, have gyros). Leaving out the gyros seems odd and leads to retro layouts, akin to the days before GA airplanes had gyros.

At least, that's one possible explanation for you....

Paul

Odd panels

I've noted that the odd panels are often built by very low time pilots, or those not yet licensed. I shake my head when encounter one of these 'creative' panels. Also, some builders do not know how to deal with the panel braces behind the panel and put longer instruments in odd positions that fit the existing panel structure behind the panel.

I've noted that the odd panels are often built by very low time pilots, or those not yet licensed. I shake my head when encounter one of these 'creative' panels. Also, some builders do not know how to deal with the panel braces behind the panel and put longer instruments in odd positions that fit the existing panel structure behind the panel.

Very true......

I know that one of the vendors that participates here quite frequently made many changes (for the better) to their product after they completed their IFR rating. It's amazing the effects of having a weird instrument scan can have on you in IMC. I suspect many VFR only and/or new pilots haven't had that opportunity yet.

To CaptainRichHill's question of affordability, I think you'll find with the entry level EFIS models from Dynon, AFS, MGL, and GRT; cost is no longer a factor. You can implement a very nice glass VFR panel for the cost of new steam guages. Many of these you can configure to look like a typical 6 pack display.

bob

Hello Richard,

I like the standard 6 pack too. When I started building I bought a panel punch ($$$) to cleanly punch holes in my panel, haven't used it yet.... now I'm not sure there will be a round hole in the panel at all !

Several of the EFIS types have an electronic 6 pack page. Best of both worlds.

1113y3k.jpg

pk

It is both amazing and somewhat mystifying to look at panels at a large fly-in and see the "non-standard" approach that you mention. Then again, when you consider that a lot of folks are building as inexpensively as possible (laudable), and are building daytime, VFR airplanes, gyros are often omitted (Heck, Van's demonstrators rarely, if ever, have gyros). Leaving out the gyros seems odd and leads to retro layouts, akin to the days before GA airplanes had gyros.

At least, that's one possible explanation for you....

Paul

Another reason might be gyros don't like aerobatics, unless you can pull a circuit breaker on each electric powered one. Even cageable ones will suffer wear. Most of the competition airplanes do not have gyros, and if they do, they are usually in a small removable panel used for the x-country flights between contests - unfortunately mostly there in case the pilot manages to get him or herself into a tight spot.

Hello Richard,

I like the standard 6 pack too. When I started building I bought a panel punch ($$$) to cleanly punch holes in my panel, haven't used it yet.... now I'm not sure there will be a round hole in the panel at all !

Several of the EFIS types have an electronic 6 pack page. Best of both worlds.

1113y3k.jpg

pk

Now thats a great looking panel. Whats something like that cost??? Or shouldn't I ask?

Now thats a great looking panel. Whats something like that cost??? Or shouldn't I ask?

Which size you want?

AF-3400 6.5" Display $1,794
AF-4500 8.4" Display $3,495
AF-5500 8.4" Display $4,395
AF-5600 10.4" Display $5,195

The 5000 series are the ones with more buttons and new mapping features. All can display the six pack. These are all list price as well. Talk to your favorite reseller for any potential discounts.