N941WR

Legacy Member
After reading all the thoughts on the BIG SnF event this year I was thinking about how that event got started, as I understand it.

A bunch of snow birds wanted to fly somewhere warm in the winter and picked Florida. That gathering as morphed into the SnF event everyone loves to talk about.

For next year, why not plan a trip somewhere else in FL or the islands? That way people can spend a day or two at SnF and then head out for a gathering of Tin Eagles. No vendors, no sponsors, no fees, no schedule, just a nice gathering of like minded aviation wing nuts, sun, sand, and ...

What are your thoughts?

Sounds like we have an organizer <g>.

Bill, sounds good.

A few of us are going to P-cola for just such a reason shortly.

LOE, but in Cedar Key, Marathon Key, Cross City, Bartow, Winter Haven or Titusville?

How about calling it the Land of Sunshine? I'm in to help orgaize in any way possble? Great plan Bill!

Sounds Good to Me too

I was in the USAF but the Naval Aviation Museum is the highest quality aviation museum I have ever seen. (yes I've been to NASM, the Air Force Museum, San Diego's Air & Space Museum, Chino's Planes of Fame, etc.) It seems like troups go through and polish everything every night. The F3H Demon with its underpowered Westinghouse engine strarted off with a bad rep but it sure looks slick in the museum. Grumman and McDonnell Aircraft Companies are well represented there. That would be a great post S'n'F stop.

Bob Axsom

SnF

Friend of mine flew into SnF Tue. camped for the night and departed for Key West Wed after the show. Spening the rest of the week at Key West and are expected back home Sun. or Mon. Sounds like fun to me!!!

Ran into Rosie and Vickie Rosales at SnF Fri. They were off to the Turks and Caicos Sat.

It all sounds good be we need to hear from someone who really knows Florida, and that isn't me.

I was thinking of some place with sights to visit, like the museum Bob mentioned, a nice beach, and a decent hotel, nothing crazy expensive or we might just as well all spend our time at SnF.

As for the the timing, how does the last weekend of SnF sound? That way we can go there on the way down and then fly on to the beach to catch up with everyone.

Folks,

You might want to consider Destin, Fl for your destination. Beautiful sugar white sand beaches, deep blue/turquoise water (gulf stream just off shore), a wide range of hotels, a long runway with significant ramp area, excellent sea food, and driving distance to the above mentioned museum. It is called the "Red Neck Riviera" by the N. Floridians and the Georgians. Janie and I lived in Tampa for 9 years (now in S. Texas) and after checking out most of the vacation/get away areas in Florida with airports in the vicinity found this area to be our favorite. It would also be a shorter distance for those coming from "inland" states.

Another we liked was Amelia Island on the east coast just s. of Jacksonville.

Just a couple more data points to consider!

Cheers,

db

The Back Porch

Fly into Destin and you are a 10-min walk from the beach and a good restaurant called the Back Porch - great seafood, right on the white sand beach overlooking the turquoise waters of the Gulf. The Hampton Inn is on the way if you need a bed for the night. Pack a small daypack and you don't need a car.

Joe
RV-9A Sloow-Build

Joe, the place looks great!

I was just on airnav.com checking it out. Man, they aren't bashful when it comes to the price of AVGas!

:eek: CJ

Another East Side Thought

One place I always enjoyed in Florida is the Kennedy Space Center and Canaveral Air Force Station. You can land at the airport in Titusville (I think it is called Spaceport or something like that - it is directly west of KSC) get a rental car and drive a short distance north to the road that goes east right into the Visitor's Center. The visitor's Center is very well done with an I-MAX theater and several buildings of attractions involving the U.S. Space Program. You can also buy tickets for several tours of the facility including one of the Shuttle Launch Pads (39B I think but it might be 39A). The gift shop at the Visitor's Center is large. Every time we had a project being launched, one of the places we stopped was a tavern/restaurant several miles south of the Visitor's Center on the east side of the north-south highway east of KSC called Shuttles. They have big juicy hamburgers named after the Space Shuttles. I worked on two projects flown on Columbia and three on Endeavour so those are the ones I ate - kind of a tradition thing. There is a museum just south of the Delta Launch Pads 17A and 17B on the Canaveral AFS but I am not sure of the access requirements. South of the KSC-CAFS complex there are restaurants with history. It's kind of fun just to explore the area. If you have never been there, it's side trip you won't quickly forget.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
On Spot!

N941WR said:
After reading all the thoughts on the BIG SnF event this year I was thinking about how that event got started, as I understand it.

A bunch of snow birds wanted to fly somewhere warm in the winter and picked Florida. That gathering as morphed into the SnF event everyone loves to talk about.

For next year, why not plan a trip somewhere else in FL or the islands? That way people can spend a day or two at SnF and then head out for a gathering of Tin Eagles. No vendors, no sponsors, no fees, no schedule, just a nice gathering of like minded aviation wing nuts, sun, sand, and ...

What are your thoughts?

Put this deal together please. S-N-F is a joke. This sounds like fun!