Brantel

Well Known Member
As a result of the happenings posted in this thread, I decided to put an end to my quest for the ultimate landing/taxi/recognition lights once and for all. I hated to part with the benjamins required to do this but it is done and I am happy.

I made a quick and dirty video using my Iphone to compare the light from the SUNSPOT 36LX Landing Light on the CO-Pilot side vs the 35W HID mounted in a fog light reflector on the Pilot side.

The video shows the SUNSPOT 36LX Landing Light has a much broader beam. The straight on brightness seems to be similar. For a recognition light, the 35W HID's in the foglight reflectors are worthless due to the laser beam output they produce. Current draw after warm up was slightly less on the SUNSPOT 36LX. The distance to the camera was ~70ft.

Also took another video after I removed the remaining 35W LED and installed the SUNSPOT 36LX Taxi Light on the Pilot side.

As you can see, the Taxi light version of the SUNSPOT 36LX has a much wider beam than that of the Landing light version. The distance to the camera was ~70ft.

I did about 5 TO&L's as it got dark last night and by the last 2-3, it was getting pretty black. The SUNSPOT 36LX's appear to me to be just as capable as the 35W HID's when used as a TAXI/LANDING light and superior when used as a recognition light. A spotter on the ground commented that he was impressed by the recognition performance of the new lights. The VP-X Pro has an automatic wig-wag mode that works great.

I highly recommend the combination of the taxi light on the pilot side and the Landing light on the CO-pilot side. This really worked well on my RV7.

Listened for any noise generated in the audio system/radios and did not detect any issues. The heatsink on the back of the lights does get pretty warm so be aware of that. Most likely runs much cooler in the air than on the ground since RV's have a ton of air moving thru em.

Still have some slight adjustments to make to the alignment to suit my preference but so far this seems like a winner other than the high cost to implement. The product appears to be well engineered and of high quality. I have no association with AEROLED other than being a customer that paid full retail price for these two lights.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention that converting the Duckworks 55w fog light mounting plate to accept the PAR36 style light was easy peasy.

I ordered two PAR36 light hold downs from Duckworks
Round_Retainer_160.JPG

and they provided a template on how to modify the rectangular hole
SP%20160.JPG

and turn it into one that the PAR36 would fit.
RL1%20160.JPG

I had to go a little larger than the template but this mod was easy to do with some snips and a 2" sanding drum in my drill press.

The good thing is that the PAR36 hold downs have screw holes that align with the original fog light reflector screw holes so no new holes or nutplates were required.

Last edited: