N941WR

Legacy Member
Maybe this should be on the alt engine forum.
Yahoo News said:
Note: buy batteries for camera, radio and plane Mon Jul 17, 9:02 AM ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japanese students succeeded on Sunday in making a manned flight in a plane powered only by household batteries.

The group from the Tokyo Institute of Technology flew the plane a distance of 1,283 feet at an airfield north of the capital, in what was the first such battery-powered flight, said a spokesman for Matsu****a Electric Industrial Co, the project's sponsors.

The plane, with a 31-meter wing span but weighing just 44 kg, was piloted by a 63-kg student for the trip, which lasted about one minute.

The power was provided by 160 AA batteries.

"I didn't think it would fly so beautifully," said one of the students involved.

The team is hoping to have the flight recognized as a record by the Japan Aeronautic Association, the spokesman said.

Strange "bad word" filter

The above is an example of why I took the "bad word" filter off of my website! (M a t s u s h i t a, a.k.a. Panasonic) Perhaps the filter can be changed to only filter whole words, not when they are imbedded in larger words.

Very cool airplane!

17mlookce5.jpg

I'm glad you didn't put it on the alternative engines forum, or we'd have a another argument about how they should have used a lycoming! :)