ERushing

Well Known Member
Good Morning to the Braintrust.

This safety experience is unrelated to RVs other than I'm in the process of building one and have to fly something until I'm done. I'd like to get some feedback from the team on what might be the issue, if there is actually an issue and if I over-reacted. I don't have years & years of flying experience (this flight pushed me past 200 hours!) and don't know much about engines yet. I know the folks that peruse this site have both in abundance!

My wife and I flew the Diamondstar DA40 (edit) from The Dalles, OR to Richland, WA for dinner with friends last night - about an hour flight. The outbound flight was uneventful. After dinner, we loaded back up and began the short hop back to The Dalles. OAT at the time was around 100 deg F, admittedly a bit hot.

On the climb out, CHT's were fine, below 400 but the oil temp began rise as I climbed at ~100kts. This is not unusual, oil temp in this bird tends to run a bit hot. However, it quickly climbed into the yellow (>230) and was heading to the red. I pushed the nose over to 110 kts to increase airflow, slowing the climb. Temps still rising. Still full rich and CHTs were sub 400 deg. Altitude at this point was around 2500 ft. I was over relatively flat ground so I leveled to try to get the oil temp back in the green. No love. Began a slow descent. No love on the temps. Passing Prosser, there really isn't much between there and the Dalles. Going on was looking questionable. If I couldn't climb, we weren't going to make it home - big hills between Prosser and home. Made the command decision to return, stay the night with our friends and try the trip in the AM when OAT was a more reasonable 65 deg F. All the while, I was trying to get the temps back down. Eased the throttle back to ease the engine load thinking, less power, less heat but less airflow too...will this work? No...

To keep the oil temp in the yellow, I had to continue a slow descent back into Richland, dodging hills along the way back. It was a little stressful. But we made it back, landed successfully and parked.

This morning, we took off just after dawn with OAT around 65 deg F. Again, climbed at 110kts, oil temp rose to the yellow line and crested now and again. When it crested, I slowed the climb and brought it back into the green... Then continued climbing. In cruise and leaned to 50 ROP, it was finally nicely in the green.

What concerns me about this is that I've flown this airplane a lot. Most of my 200 hours are in this bird. I flew last year in the heat of the summer and ran into a similar issue but was able to resolve it by just slowing my climb and increasing airspeed.

I think I made the right decision but anyone think I over-reacted?

What could I have done differently to bring the oil temps down? I was running full rich to try to keep the CHTs down, thinking that high CHTs would lead to high oil temp.

I've brought the high oil temp to the attention of the FBO but they just smile and say that it's a tightly cowled airplane and it's just something we have to contend with. Any suggestions as to what they might do to bring the oil temp down?

I looked carefully at the cowl inlet and exit, no blockage, no bird debris, nothing...

Thanks for any advice and/ or suggestions!

Last edited:
Never second guess yourself for making the safe or conservative decision. Following this path, there will be days when you are on the ground, wishing you were in the sky. But that is far better than being in the sky, wishing you were on the ground.

Thanks Bob!

Good advice. I'm completely comfortable with my decision. My wife is much more important to me than getting home and sleeping in my own bed!

My question was poorly stated and was meant more in the line of could I have continued on by doing something different...

Given where I was and what I knew, I'm comfortable with my decision. We're here. Airplane ain't broke. AND we got to spend more time with friends :)

Quick update - The FBO responded very positively after my description of the flight and will investigate.

I suspect that there might be an issue with the oil cooler bypass valve given that this airplane is flown a lot, I've flown it a lot, and this is a pretty new occurrence.

Oil temp

Eric,

You made a good decision and if anyone ever says otherwise then tell them to "pack sand up their a** and end the conversation. You showed good airmanship and made a good call to land. I don't know what engines the DA-40 has but the Lycoming IO-360 I have is very specific that 165-220 is normal. Pushing 230 is too high. And with a family member on board you made a double good call.

I have a LOT of flight hours (~25,000) in everything from helicopters, A-10s, F-15s, F-16s and 737s (and of course my beloved RV-4) so I speak from experience that anyone who takes the conservative approach will live to fly another day. I don't care if someone has 200 hours or 10,000 hours, the important thing is to use good judgement to make good decisions and not put yourself into a position where you have to "use some of those superior piloting skills". Or as Goose would say, "Do some of that pilot sh**".

The high oil temps could be the reasons you mentioned or the vernatherm, a blockage in the oil lines, a bad temp sensor, a bad gauge, a clogged oil cooler or a number of other things. I had some warm temperatures a while back so I sent my cooler off to Pacific Oil Coolers to be reconditioned and my temps are normal now in the 185-190 range.

Good luck with your FBO but in any case you win a Gold Star for making an excellent decision. Keep up the good airmanship!!

Well done,
Oly

Good Job Eric! You're here to write about it so it was the right choice. BTW, it was nice to meet you at 7S5 on Saturday! Sorry I didn't get to talk with you more.

-Marc