jeffv7727

I want to build IFR capable panel and there seems to be many options when it comes to EFIS and engine monitors but what is available in a non certified NavCom with G/S indicator combination?

Roll in with advice

I would also like to know the answer to this. I am leaning towards the 430 only because I dont know of other options. Some of you smart folks please chime in.

There is none. The KX 155 is the industry standard, the SL30 is better. You could get a Narco, but servicing them is an issue.

KX-125A

There is none. The KX 155 is the industry standard, the SL30 is better. You could get a Narco, but servicing them is an issue.

The KX-125A comes close as a lower cost substitute, however it is TSO'd...

kx125.jpg

The built-in indicator could save some $$$ (unless you have a Dynon or equivalent...:)...)

gil A

lots of choices

I want to build IFR capable panel and there seems to be many options when it comes to EFIS and engine monitors but what is available in a non certified NavCom with G/S indicator combination?
Not sure what you mean by IFR, non certified. Other than the big three, King, Narco and Garmin, there are some smaller brands. Garmin is the way to go and they make a NAV/COM in a small package. There are many good choices for "other" separate com radios and even seperate NAV receivers. If you want IFR GPS (stand alone or bundled with NAV/COM) you have to go certified or TSO'ed. That pretty much means Garmin, since they cornered the market.

NAV
Val INS 422 Nav (all in one VOR/LOC/GS/MB)

COM
XCOM (small 2.25" com)
Microair (2.25" com & transponder)
Icom (two Coms avaiable)
Val avionics (com & nav)

Full line of avionics
http://www.becker-avionics.com/ (Nav, Com, Transponder)

Some of the exotic stuff can be harder to get serviced.

Are you determined to have a 2-in-1 Nav/Com KX155 radio with a NAV head? Narco makes an equivalent. Narco service is not a problem but you can only get them factory serviced, so you have to send it in. Not a big deal with overnight or 2md day shipping, and you know it will get done properly for a reasonable price. Icom makes good featured packed Com's for a fair price. The Val INS reciver is cheap at $2000, but you have to like the LED "needles". I like the Narco all in one NAV 122D Nav better than the Val, but they cost twice as much.

My best picks would be the SL 30 Garmin. That's what I'd buy if going with ground based IFR NAV only. If going "full meal deal" it would be Garmin's all in one NAV/COM/GPS units like the 430W or 530W. (get a WAAS unit of course)

Last edited: