rvator9a

Well Known Member
I put early LED nav lights in my 9, they were made by a company called THOR. They appear to have gone out of business, so I am wondering if anyone would have an idea of how to quiet the noise that I get in my headset when they are on. They don't appear to have a lot of draw, but they are very noisy.

Pretty much all of my knowledge comes from Bob Knuckolls' book....
Make sure the lights are grounded per the manufacturers manual, Aeroleds are supposed to be grounded to the frame at the light fixture. Also make sure the headset / intercom / radio jacks and wires are on their own ground and not grounded to the frame anywhere.

Good luck,

I'm sure some really smart electrical engineer will have more specific advise.

I had very good results eliminating RFI by adding an aluminum backing plate inside the wingtip and running the NAV/Strobe ground to it, then air frame ground to the same place.

The plate is just a piece of .032 or so aluminum that is held to the inside of the wingtip by the NAV/Strobe mounting screws. Keep the ground lead from the NAV/Strobe to this plate as short as possible.

Send me your email and I'll provide some photos.

Carl

Just before, on the positive lead, wrap one of those magnet clamp toroidials at least 3 times. Ferrite clamp, ferrite beads, noise shields, go by many names. You may have some on old camera or video equipment from the last decade.

Makes sure it is properly secured and not near a magnatometer. It worked for my PSA navstrobes. Now replaced by pilotlights.net units.