benbell4140

Well Known Member
Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of the annoying spring noises that come from the electric aileron trim springs? Im temted to get rid of the aileron trim all together because of this noise. Ive tried sanding/smoothing the steel spring attach points on the control column with no success. Its just too nice of an airplane to have the noise.

Thanks..

If you slip some vinyl tubing over the ends of the springs (the part that goes through the control column), the squeaky noise will go almost completely away.

Start the engine...

Lots of noises dissapear once the engine starts... even more when you push in the throttle ;)

Check to make sure that the springs are not touching anything during stick movement.

Lots of noises dissapear once the engine starts... even more when you push in the throttle ;)

Check to make sure that the springs are not touching anything during stick movement.

I'll second that.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6

PS - Invest in some good noise canceling head sets :)

They are not making any contact with anything. Seems like the spring ends or loops are binding at the the attchment on the control column.

Im temted to get rid of the aileron trim all together because of this noise
We did this prior even flying, and have never missed it (450hrs / 930 flights). Unnecessary in an RV-8 IMHO, has no lateral asymmetric loading ;)

I went through the same thing,

I even called Van's to ask what to do. They had not gotten any complaints and I finally understand why.

First, I found that part of the problem is that the ends of the springs are not wound to the right orientation, and at a certain tension, almost fully stretched to the stops on the stick, they would 'twang' over to the other orientation.
It helped some to bend the ends of the springs a small amount to get them to sit in a more stable orientation where the end loops go through the control column tabs.

Next, I tried putting some vinyl tubing on the loops where they go through the tabs. I think I gave up, there wasn't enough room.

I did get to the point where they only twang at nearly the full control travel of the control column.
Then, I assembled the airplane and the aileron travel is limited by the stops at the control surfaces, and I don't think it ever really twangs now.

But it is totally true that it is among the noises that will go away immediately when the engine starts.

So, I think you can ignore this - it won't be an issue when you are flying.

I even called Van's to ask what to do. They had not gotten any complaints and I finally understand why.

First, I found that part of the problem is that the ends of the springs are not wound to the right orientation, and at a certain tension, almost fully stretched to the stops on the stick, they would 'twang' over to the other orientation.
It helped some to bend the ends of the springs a small amount to get them to sit in a more stable orientation where the end loops go through the control column tabs.

Next, I tried putting some vinyl tubing on the loops where they go through the tabs. I think I gave up, there wasn't enough room.

I did get to the point where they only twang at nearly the full control travel of the control column.
Then, I assembled the airplane and the aileron travel is limited by the stops at the control surfaces, and I don't think it ever really twangs now.

But it is totally true that it is among the noises that will go away immediately when the engine starts.

So, I think you can ignore this - it won't be an issue when you are flying.

Funny how this stuff is noticed when pilots sit in the airplane and pretend they are flying. :)

We did this prior even flying, and have never missed it (450hrs / 930 flights). Unnecessary in an RV-8 IMHO, has no lateral asymmetric loading ;)

I'm in this camp also, no trim also helps keep you "on task" keeping your fuel load balanced. I installed the trim when I built the plane but wanted to do all the test flying without it, after flying for a while I saw no reason to re-install it.

Try this

Put a small zip tie through The attach bracket where the spring hooks on the control weldment, it will fill up the space enough to keep the noise to a minimum.

Randy
8A

RV6/7 or 4/8?

If you change tanks every 1/2 hour, you will never pull the springs as far as you are sitting in the plane without flying it. Very little adjustment is needed when in actual flight.. In a side by side model, the aileron adjustment is needed more only if the pilot is solo and is "full figured" (re: 200 or more lbs). When the right tank is lower, you will notice an out of trim position.
Woodman

I think I will just leave the springs off for now and if I need trim in the future I will pit the springs back on. Thanks everyone for the ideas.

The zip tie works

Put a small zip tie through The attach bracket where the spring hooks on the control weldment, it will fill up the space enough to keep the noise to a minimum.

Randy
8A

I did as Randy suggests. By putting a zip tie on each side where the spring hooks to the control weldment, the spring is not able to move about with aileron movement. This simple solution has worked for me for nearly a thousand hours. I like the aileron trim and would not remove it.

Dan Miller
RV-8 N3TU 970 hours