Paul Eastham

Well Known Member
Hey guys,
Is it normal to have a metallic rubbing sound coming from the main gear when ground-handling the aircraft? I.e. when pushing or pulling it with the tow bar.

I assume it's coming from the brakes (fairings not installed, and the fairing mount plates are well clear of the rotors). I have tried manually pulling the brake pedals up, making sure they're depressurized -- no change.

Taxiing seems normal, and no noise is audible inside the cabin.

Thanks - Paul

Hey Paul,

Yes the pads do drag a bit since there are no return springs. It is possible though to put the brakes together backwards which makes the dragging much more pronounced. (Ask me how I know) I'm trying to remember the details, but without a picture in front of me it is tough. But the vague memories I do have are dealing with the pins that the pads slide on. This piece can be backwards and everything still lines up and works but with the problem that you describe. I'd look closely at this if I were you. This is clear as mud, but if you have this problem it will make sense when you take it apart. Let us know what you find.
Best,

Depressing the brake pedals causes the brake calipers to slide along the pins and compress against the rotors. The higher the pedal pressure, the higher the pressure on the rotors. Releasing the pedals does NOT cause the calipers to retract - it only releases the squeeze on the rotors. The pads will continue to maintain some slight contact with the rotors, even without hydraulic pressure. As long as the fairing brackets have sufficient clearance, this is likely the sound you're hearing.
Terry
RV9A
N323TP